[Oacrao-l] Questions concerning your Emergency Withdrawal procedures

Peaster, Rita rita.peaster at okstate.edu
Wed Sep 1 08:25:46 CDT 2010

Adam,

We have a university policy on Adding and Dropping Courses and Withdrawing from the University which contains a section that governs our procedures for late drop/withdrawal petitions.  I've attached a copy of the petition form which includes a summary of the petition guidelines, etc.  Students are expected to submit the following documentation with a completed petition form:

1.     Written statement explaining the extraordinary circumstances that prevented them from dropping/withdrawing within the published deadline(s).

2.     Documentation of the extraordinary circumstances (ex: medical documentation).

3.     Written verification of non-attendance from the instructor(s), if applicable.

Late drop/withdrawal petitions are coordinated through the Provost's office and reviewed by a committee that's comprised of representatives from each academic college, plus representatives from the faculty council and the Registrar's office.  If a petition is approved, the final step involves asking the instructor of record to make the final grade assignment of "W" or "F" (we don't modify the grade without instructor approval).  The new deadline for receiving petitions is 6 months after the date grades are officially due for the course(s).  If students also wish to receive a refund for the course(s) in question, we have a separate but closely related process for that.

We've recently had a lot of discussion/review of the current processes, and are continuing to explore ways to simplify/streamline and handle petitions that are received after the deadline.  We are also taking extra efforts this semester to identify and contact no-shows before the withdrawal deadline.

Rita Gearhart Peaster
Associate Registrar
Oklahoma State University
322 Student Union