[Oacrao-l] Password changes due to FERPA

Adam Johnson ADJohnson at uco.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:57:06 CST 2011

I hope everyone is having a chance to get out and enjoy the nicer weather we're having!  In the meantime, here's a quick question/favor...

We've recently had some questions/concerns expressed by some student groups who are questioning our recent changes requiring students to change their password every 90 days as well as concerning the added stipulations/requirements for the password (such as character length, using alpha & numeric characters, case sensitivity, etc.).  We also have security questions set up to assist students to have their password reset.  For reference, here is a link detailing our current efforts:  http://www.uco.edu/technology/support/improved-security.asp

Well, believe it or not, some students feel this is quite excessive (even though we're trying to protect their security), so I thought I would ask for some responses from you concerning your institutions' recent efforts to improve security as well as comply with FERPA requirements about PIN numbers and authentication.

If anyone wouldn't mind sharing a bit about what your institution has done to address these issues, it would help us articulate that to our students to show that 1) UCO isn't picking on its students as other institutions are utilizing similar methods for security, and 2) we're doing this in their best interest!

Thanks!

Adam Johnson, Associate Vice President/Registrar
Enrollment Management
University of Central Oklahoma
100 N. University Drive
Edmond, Ok  73034
(405) 974-2385
(405) 974-3930 (fax)
Click here to visit UCO's website<http://www.uco.edu/>

**Bronze+Blue=Green** The University of Central Oklahoma is Bronze, Blue, and Green! Please print this e-mail only if absolutely necessary!

**CONFIDENTIALITY** This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure or use of this information is prohibited.