[Oacrao-l] Question about credits for Prior Learning

David Fulmer dfulmer at oru.edu
Thu Jan 6 14:26:19 CST 2011

Jerry, thank you for sharing your experience at NKU and for all of your
years of service here in OK!  We have a process similar to what you
describe.  The student enrolls in a three hour course detailing the
processing of preparing their portfolio.  The student indicates the
courses for which they desire to receive credit.  The portfolio is then
evaluated by faculty in those respective areas.  Credit is granted based
on the recommendations of the faculty.

Hope this helps!

In His Service,

David H. Fulmer, III
Registrar
Instructor, ORU Distance Learning Department
Oral Roberts University
918.495.7480 (office)
918.495.6607 (fax)
registrar.oru.edu ( http://www.oru.edu/ )

>>> Jerry J Legere <jlegere at uco.edu> 1/6/2011 8:39 AM >>>

 Adam and all:
When I was at Northern Kentucky University many years ago, we had a one
person office who was responsible for "prior learning."  Her job was to
work with the academic community and guide students through the
portfolio development process to seek academic credit.
For a student to seek academic credit, they were required to take a two
credit hour course that taught them how to earn credit, how to document
their learning experiences and what can be included and what would not
qualify for consideration. Without this course, they could not seek
prior learning credit.  The students would spend the semester exploring
what they might qualify for in seeking credit and how to prepare such a
portfolio to document their learning.
At the end of the semester, they would earn their two hours credit,
assuming they finished the course and they would have direction about
seeking credit for prior learning.  During the two hour course, many
times they could be working on their portfolios.  Not all academic
departments would entertain prior learning for credit but many did.
Every department would do departmental exams as an alternative.
However, I remember one person who was a high ranking banker who had
never earned her degree but used the prior learning portfolio
development process to eventually earn her business degree.  Many
students still have to take regular courses but the prior learning
process allowed them to bypass a number of courses in the classroom for
which they already had the knowledge but lacked the official
transcripted credential.
There has to be a commitment at the institution and within the academic
community.  There needs to be a market of adults which the OKC area
certainly has.  It would fit nicely into the Adult Degree Completion
program which Tim McElroy is coordinating around the state from the NSU
campus for the Regents.  It is, however, a very time consuming process
for faculty and we had to face the thorny issue of faculty compensation.
 It is not easy to solve.

Jerry Legere, retired