[Oacrao-l] Gainful Employment Regulation

David Barron dbarron at rsu.edu
Wed Jun 29 08:29:03 CDT 2011

David,
At our OASFAA conference in April we had Kevin Campbell, Training Officer, United State Department of Education, present regarding the new regulations, including gainful employment. The rule of thumb given is that if you are a liberal arts institution and the degree you offer is a Bachelor's or Associate's degree then the gainful employment rules do not apply.  If you have a graduate certificate program, then the gainful employment rules do not apply.
If you have an undergraduate "certificate program" of study for which a student is eligible to receive title IV aid then this program would be subject to gainful employment rules.
Just because a teacher is required to be certified by the state does not mean that the institution's bachelor's degree program in education is subject to the gainful employment rules.
I hope this helps.
Thanks and have a great day,

David Barron
Executive Director of Enrollment Management
Rogers State University
1701 W. Will Rogers Blvd.
Claremore, OK 74107-3252
918.343.7852