[Oacrao-l] SB 1863 - Post-Military Service Occupation, Education and Credentialing Act

Dela Cruz, Jr., Jose jcruz at osrhe.edu
Fri Dec 21 13:48:56 CST 2012

Hello, I hope this correspondence finds you well.  Recently I received a call regarding Senate Bill 1863 [Post-Military Service Occupation, Education and Credentialing Act] and we thought it appropriate to share the following with the OACRAO membership.

As background, the senate bill mandates that institutions should have in place a process to compare and apply academic credit for education, training and experience received through military duty or service which is applicable to the selected program of study for an honorably discharged military service member.

Additionally, the bill states that each governing board shall adopt, no later than January 1, 2013, a policy authorizing the institution under the board's supervision and management to award educational credits to a student enrolled in the institution for courses that are part of the student's military training or service and that meet the standards of the American Council on Education or equivalent standards for the awarding of academic credit if the award of educational credit is based upon the institution's admission standards and its role, scope and mission.

After internal discussion with staff and general counsel, it is our determination that The Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) have in place a statewide policy on awarding credit for extrainstitutional credit<http://www.okhighered.org/state-system/policy-procedures/part3.shtml> addressing what SB 1863 directs institutions to have in place.  You will note the statewide policy identifies publications and methods that are acceptable for validating extrainstitutional learning for awarding credit, which includes the American Council on Education (ACE) Guide to Evaluation of Educational Experiences identified in SB 1863.  SB 1863 articulates what is already in place statewide as outlined in the attached OSRHE 3.15 policy.

I hope this addresses any concerns.  Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
José

José Dela Cruz
Coordinator -- Academic Affairs Projects