[Oacrao-l] Information from Oklahoma State Accrediting Agency - Section 702 - Veterans Choice Act

Horinek, Jon B. jhorinek at occc.edu
Tue Apr 7 10:42:36 CDT 2015

This email is being sent on behalf of Gina Wekke, Director of the Oklahoma State Accrediting Agency. Please contact her at gwekke at odva.state.ok.us<mailto:gwekke at odva.state.ok.us> for more information.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Dear OACRAO Members:

It was great seeing many of you last Friday at the spring OACRAO meeting.  Mr. Daniel Archer from the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) provided a thorough presentation about Oklahoma's status regarding federal law Section 702 - also known as the Veterans Choice Act (VCA). VCA requires institutions to give in-state status to eligible GI Bill recipients.  Note that this law goes into effect July 1, 2015 and applies to public higher education institutions only.  A copy of the draft policy excerpt is attached.  Also, a link to a bill moving its way through the Oklahoma legislature (SB 138) on this subject is provided below.  If the legislation is enacted, there may need to be slight changes to OSRHE policy.  OSRHE will keep us informed.

As the state agency responsible for GI Bill in Oklahoma, I wanted to follow-up and encourage you to be in touch with your institution's GI Bill School Certifying Official (SCO) about advising and logistics regarding VCA and OSRHE policy.  I understand that the registrar/admissions officer and veterans service's/SCO offices are closely affiliated (or the SCO is the registrar/admission officer!).  It is important that the appropriate office(s) at your institution be prepared to respond to questions and to ensure a smooth transition for Veterans and other eligible GI Bill recipients.

Thank you for everything you do.  Please let me know if I may be of assistance.

Attachments:

OSRHE Policy Excerpt Draft

Senate Bill 138

http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=SB138&Session=1500<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.oklegislature.gov_BillInfo.aspx-3FBill-3DSB138-26Session-3D1500&d=AwMFAg&c=ozaQIQjULwvu86-OCdkRYHRNoyiIvjO9RGA_WNqbchA&r=l2gs1NFGESHtGKqLMW2DLfyRsjIbupl2rPlDsb9AA4g&m=yVfGH3SNtn6BVHXLCNYb-wxJQrnYMCH7Nz1XY7gYV2I&s=U34yZfr65h4Ik3ppRtIn7xlBqpGkMn8aJd47YgJtXYM&e=>

Ms. Gina M. Wekke, Director
Oklahoma State Accrediting Agency
4045 N.W. 64th Street, Suite 205
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73116

***** Visit Oklahoma Department of Veteran's Affairs on the web at http://www.ok.gov/odva *****
The information contained in this email message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any review, dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message and any attachments.