[Oacrao-l] Request for volunteers to serve on a "mentoring committee" for 2015-16

Adam Johnson ADJohnson at uco.edu
Tue Sep 8 14:23:40 CDT 2015

Good afternoon,

Each year, it seems we have more and more individuals attend our Fall Conference who are brand new to our profession.  Whether they enter registrar, admissions, or other enrollment management positions by transferring from other areas within your campuses or are brand new to higher education, it can certainly be a little unnerving being the "new kid" in OACRAO.

Many of us have known each other for years and start conversations picking up right after the last time we saw each other.  In addition to the information sharing and professional development opportunities the conference showcases, there's no question we also look forward to this time to reconnect socially with one another!

As an organization, our strength relies on active membership participation.  In order to ensure OACRAO remains an effective and dynamic group, we need to make sure we welcome all new members and connect them to as many "veteran" OACRAO members as possible.

This is why I'm emailing you now!

Would you be willing to serve as an OACRAO mentor for the 2015-16 academic year (and possibly beyond?)

As always, time is a valuable thing, but I truly don't expect a tremendous drain on your individual time.  Here's all that would be required for you as a mentor:

*         Offer your name, title, role (your areas of experience and/or expertise), and contact information.

*         This information will be provided to all newcomers beginning with the fall 2015 conference and will most likely be on our website as well.

*         Be willing to take the time to listen to any newcomer's question(s) and make them feel valued and respected.

*         During the year, respond to any emails/phone calls from a new OACRAO member in a timely manner.

Sounds easy, right?  (I'm picturing you nodding in full agreement).

In the past, we've tried to match individual newcomers to specific "veteran" OACRAO members, but this time around, you will serve as an overall group of mentors that will allow any newcomer to view this list and know s/he may reach out to any of you based on the size of your institution, your experience in a certain area, location, or any number of factors.  So, if you'd like to serve in this capacity as a mentor resource, please answer the questions below and email me at adjohnson at uco.edu<mailto:adjohnson at uco.edu>.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email (as I said-I know your time is valuable!!) as well as consideration of serving as a mentor.  Please let me know if you have any questions, and I look forward to seeing many mentor volunteers!

See you soon!!

Adam Johnson

OACRAO VP for Membership/Mentoring

Name:
Title:
Institution:
Email address:
Phone:
Years of experience in current role:
Other positions held in higher education (if applicable):
Areas you feel comfortable being used as a resource (i.e. admissions, registrar, veteran certification, records, recruiting, etc.):

Adam Johnson, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President/Registrar
100 N. University Drive,
NUC 136D, Box 151