Subject: [OKAIRP] Lean University Training Offered

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:35:46 -0500

Do you have broken processes on your campus?  Do documents get lost as 
they move from office to office for approval?  Is this an efficient way to 
help students and faculty?   

Lean University is a concept successfully used at the University of 
Central Oklahoma.  Now we offer an executive training program to help your 
campus become a Lean University.  No that does not mean reducing staff. It 
means structuring processes where your overworked staff can do their job 
easier and sometimes better. 

Process improvement training that focuses on your campus needs is offered 
through the Lean University program.  Participants completing the program 
are certified Lean Facilitators.  The training is split into two sessions 
to allow participants time to complete homework assignments on a project 
on their home campus.  Instructors serve as coaches as the participants 
work on the homework project.  The economical comprehensive training 
covers: 

Lean Principles (as they apply to higher education), 
Value Stream Mapping (identify true waste in a process), 
Performance Measures (measuring the change), 
Kaizen Events (making the change) and 
Culture Impact (finding solutions for barriers to implement).   

Space is limited, so register for one of the sessions scheduled or ask 
about a customized training program for your campus. 

September 29-October 2 and October 27-29, 2008 (Oklahoma City area) - call 
to see if you qualify for a discount
January 27-30 and February 23-25, 2009 (Oklahoma City area) 
March 30-April 2 and April 27-29, 2009 (Dallas area) 

For program details and options on completing the program contact Karen 
Kusler at (405) 974-2540 or [email-masked].  More information about the 
Lean University program and the Center for Strategic Improvement at the 
University of Central Oklahoma is available on the website www.ucocsi.edu  

Why UCO Lean University Program? 

Since 2002 UCO has used Transactional Lean principles to improve services. 
UCO is a campus designed for 12,000 students with a current enrollment of 
roughly 16,000 students. We are a metropolitan university with a $104 
million budget (50% state appropriation) and 1.7 million square feet in 
buildings.  We not only teach the program, we apply the principles to our 
campus. 

Lean is a systematic approach to identify and eliminate waste in a 
process. It enables higher education to apply positive change in processes 
in a short time period. Generally the implementation schedule to apply 
change in a Transactional Lean process ranges from one week to three 
months. 

Program Design: 

Week One (4 days) 
1. Transactional Lean Principles (1 day) 
Develop an understanding of what Lean is and the history of the 
principles. Be able to define a process and determine the start and end 
points of the process. Identify areas of waste in transactional Lean 
processes. Recognize the value of continuous flow in a process. Review the 
value of Lean Tools including: Quality at the Source, Batch Size 
Reduction, Standardized Work, Point of Use Storage, 5 S System, Visual 
Controls, Value Stream Mapping, Pull System, and Layout. 

2. Developing Value Stream Maps (VSM) (2 days) 
Learn to use the Value Stream Map tool to visualize a process. The current 
state map presents the steps involved in a process. The future state map 
describes the process with changes to eliminate waste and improve 
efficiency. Hands-on activities are applied to familiarize participants 
with the symbols and format of Value Stream Maps. Formats for VSM Charters 
are presented and criteria for team member selection are defined. 

3. Defining Performance Measures (1 day) 
Techniques to facilitate team meetings are discussed and role played. 
Emphasize the importance of 
connecting process measures to strategic goals and defining metrics to 
measure effectiveness of steps. Formats for action plans to implement 
change are presented. 

Week Two (3 days) 
4. Planning and Conducting Kaizen Events (2 days) 
Changes in the process are implemented through Kaizen Events. Participants 
learn the steps for 
planning a Kaizen Event (including Charter formats), selecting the 
implementation team, and making change in the process in a short time 
span. The value of follow-up on Kaizen Events is emphasized. 

5. Creating a Lean Culture (1 day) 
Participants develop an understanding of culture issues tied to change in 
processes. Barriers to change are discussed and options identified to 
overcome them. Techniques for monitoring change are presented. 

Homework Assignments 
Following Week One: 
Draw Current and Future State Value Stream Maps on a process in your 
organization. Identify metrics for the process. Report on the mapping 
experience and the process VSM at the beginning of Week Two. 

Last Day of Class: 
100 point examination on knowledge of Transactional Lean Principles. 

Following Week Two: 
Complete one Kaizen Event, preferably on the process mapped. Submit the 
Kaizen Charter and report for review. Write a 2-5 page paper on how the 
barriers to changing an organization’s culture will be addressed. 

Completion of homework assignments, passing the examination with a grade 
of 70% or higher, and class attendance is required for certification. 

Karen Kusler
University of Central Oklahoma
Center for Strategic Improvement
Nigh University Center, Room 305F
100 N. University Drive
Edmond, OK 73034
(405) 974-2540
fax: (405) 974-3875
[email-masked]
http://ucocsi.com

**CONFIDENTIALITY**This email (including any attachments) may contain 
confidential, proprietary and privileged information, any unauthorized 
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this email in error, 
please notify the sender and delete this email from your system.  Thank 
you.

-----------------------------------------
**CONFIDENTIALITY** -This email (including any attachments) may
contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information.  Any
unauthorized disclosure or use of this information is prohibited.