Subject: [OKAIRP] Florida State Offers Certificate in Institutional Research

From: "Stewart, Sheilynda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:17:22 -0500

Greetings!
 
     I was recently informed by Jill Peerenboom, Program Coordinator
from Florida State University, that she would like to invite the OKAIRP
community to explore summer course offerings toward a Certificate in
Institutional Research.  These courses will be offered from June 30,
2008 through August 8, 2008.  For additional information, please review
the information below and visit their web site at:  
http://www.fsu.edu/~elps/he/certresearch.htm
<blocked::http://www.fsu.edu/~elps/he/certresearch.htm>  

 
Sheilynda
 
Sheilynda Stewart, M.B.A.
OKAIRP President
 
Software Development Project Manager
Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
Strategic Planning and Analysis
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK  73104
Phone:  (405) 225-9288
Email:   [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

Florida State University's Certificate in Institutional Research Offers
Summer Courses!

The Certificate in Institutional Research at Florida State University is
an online certificate program, consisting of 18 credits of
graduate-level course work, designed to provide academic and
professional development opportunities for institutional researchers,
administrators, graduate students, and faculty from all areas of higher
education. Students will enhance their knowledge and understanding of
Institutional Research, have the opportunity to explore national
databases, and apply their knowledge to practical applications. 

All courses can be taken individually or as part of the Certificate.
Courses are completely online and will run June 30-August 8, 2008. For
more information, please visit 

http://www.fsu.edu/~elps/he/certresearch.htm
<BLOCKED::http://www.fsu.edu/~elps/he/certresearch.htm>  or email 
[email-masked]
<BLOCKED::mailto:[email-masked]> .

Course offerings:

Introduction to Institutional Research (EDH 5055)

The course provides an introduction to the theoretical and practical
application of institutional research as a discipline in higher
education. Institutional research has direct applications to many, if
not all, administrative and strategic activities within the institution.
Course content addresses local, state, and national issues in
institutional research, examines organizational, administrative,
political, and ethical issues in institutional research, and exposes
students to national databases. 

Special Topics: Data Mining (EDH 5931, Section 07)

This course will provide an introduction to the basic theories and
practice of data mining. Data mining is the process of searching through
and analyzing large amounts of data in order to identify data that best
fits the researcher's intended purpose. No previous experience with data
mining is necessary. Students should have some basic knowledge of
statistics and/or experience with database software (i.e., Excel or
Access), but expertise is not required. Course content will include
exposure to data mining software and the opportunity to use one of these
programs. Lab exercises will be used to provide basic experience with
data analysis research.

Special Topics: Student Success in College (EDH 5931, Section 09)

American higher education is changing dramatically as an increasingly
diverse population gets ready to go to college. This change provides an
exciting opportunity to strengthen our human resources. Meanwhile, the
college graduation rate has been just around 50% for decades, so one
common question in the minds of policy makers and administrators is: How
can the educational system effectively promote student success in
college? This course examines the theories and research on student
success and explores the effective policies, programs, and practices
that can be adopted to promote student success in higher education.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jill Peerenboom

Program Coordinator

Certificate in Institutional Research

Educational Leadership and Policy Studies

Florida State University

 [email-masked]

http://www.fsu.edu/~elps/he/certresearch.htm
<BLOCKED::http://www.fsu.edu/~elps/he/certresearch.htm>