Subject: [OKAIRP] FW: [E-air] Special Bulletin - U.S. News' Plans for the 2006 Edition ofAmerica's Best Colleges Rankings/Guide

From: "Tyree, Laura" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:32:08 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 9:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [E-air] Special Bulletin - U.S. News' Plans for the 2006
Edition ofAmerica's Best Colleges Rankings/Guide

**********************************************************************
*                Special Bulletin - The Electronic AIR               *
*                                                                    *
*          U.S. News' Plans for the 2006 Edition of America's        *
*                      Best Colleges Rankings/Guide                  *
*                                                                    *
*                     The Electronic Newsletter                      *
*        of the Association for Institutional Research (AIR)         *
*            Serving Institutional Research Professionals            *
*   and Those Engaged in Mgt. Research, Policy Analysis & Planning   *
*                                                                    *
*        3/7/05. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Volume 26, Number 7        *
*                                                                    *
*            Editor: Meihua Zhai, George Mason University            *
*                     (mailto:[email-masked])                         *
*        Associate Editor: Marne Einarson, Cornell University        *
*                   (mailto:[email-masked])                        *
*                 Jobs Editor: Gail Fishman, AIR                     *
*                (mailto:[email-masked])                    *
*Subscription Mgt.: Norm Gravelle, Assoc. for Institutional Research *
*                    (mailto:[email-masked])                     *
* Suggestion: Easier to Read Using a Monospace Font Such as Courier  *
*        Get Back Issues at: http://ira.rose-hulman.edu/E-AIR        *
**********************************************************************
*                     Current Subscribers = 5617                     *
*            Next Issue Target Publication Date: 3/20/05             *
*                  Next Issue Copy Deadline: 3/17/05                 *
**********************************************************************

TITLE: U.S. News' Plans for the 2006 Edition of America's Best
       Colleges Rankings/Guide
       
AUTHOR: Bob Morse, Director of Data Research, U.S. News & World Report

U.S. News would like to update AIR members on the latest U.S. News'
plans for the 2006 edition of America's Best Colleges rankings/guide.

DATA COLLECTION BEGAN ON MARCH 7, 2005 on all three surveys: Main,
Financial Aid and IPEDS Finance.  Your school's listed contact(s),
should have received an email with details on how to access
our online data collection site.  If you haven't received these
emails, get in touch with your U.S. News contact.

THE RANKINGS/GUIDE IS SCHEDULED TO BE PUBLISHED THE WEEK OF AUGUST 22,
2005 and online approximately August 19, 2005.  In mid-August, U.S.
News will again update AIR members on the details of the data release.
Any school that completes the U.S. News Main or Financial Aid survey
will get a free 12-month pass, starting in late August 2005, to the
U.S. News Best Colleges premium online web site.

As many of you are aware, we had to expand our surveys in 2003 in
order to maintain our web site and to plan for the U.S. News Ultimate
College Guide, our new guidebook first published in late 2003.  Those
questions appear again on this year's survey, although a very large
percentage of them are populated with your school's data from the 2004
data collection.  If you need to update any of last year's "roll-over"
data, then please do so.  As in 2004, COLLEGE MAJORS WILL BE COLLECTED
USING THE NEW CIP-2000 CODES.

U.S. News surveys can now be printed using HTML.  Schools will still
have a paper or online option.  There are still three separate
surveys: IPEDS Finance survey, Financial Aid survey and a one part
Main Survey.  U.S. News will continues to accept a school's CDS for
those portions of the surveys that are CDS questions.

IMPORTANT DATA COLLECTION NOTICE:
---------------------------------
In late August 2005, when U.S. News publishes its American Best
Colleges rankings next August, our goal is to make the footnotes to
the ranking tables much more specific.  For example, instead of saying
"Data not submitted in the form requested by U.S. News," the footnote
may say something like "School excluded minority students' scores from
their SAT/ACT scores."  In addition, U.S. News will attempt to do more
cross-checking of admission data with the data schools submitted on
their Fall 2004 IPEDS Institutional Characteristics survey.

If you need more details on how the "enhanced" footnotes and
cross-checking will work or have other questions about the U.S. News
rankings or data collection, contact either Bob Morse, Director of
Data Research at [email-masked], Sam Flanigan, Deputy Director of
Data Research, at [email-masked] or Meadow Yerkie, Associate
Research Analyst, at [email-masked].

In advance, U.S. News would like to thank AIR members for
participating in the 2005 U.S. News data collection.  We fully
understand that it takes a lot of work to fill out surveys.

AIR members are encouraged to contact any member of the
U.S. News/AIR Advisory committee with issues/concerns about U.S. News
that they want addressed.

Members of the committee are listed below in alphabetical order:

AIR:
Libby Barlow
  [email-masked], University of Houston
Stephanie Bushey
  [email-masked], Hofstra University
Timothy Chow
  [email-masked], Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Peggye Cohen
  [email-masked], George Washington Univ/HEDPC Rep
Steve Devlin
  [email-masked], Lehigh University
Pat Dewitt
  [email-masked], Shorter College
Denise Gater
  [email-masked], University of Florida
Rana Glasgal
  [email-masked], Stanford University
Maryann Gray
  [email-masked], University of Southern California
Anne Machung
  [email-masked], Univ of California President's Office
Lynn McCloskey
  [email-masked], Washington University
Ellen Peters
  [email-masked], Bates College
Cara Mia Pugh
  [email-masked], Auburn University
Kurt Schneidmiller
  [email-masked], Gallaudet College
Bruce Szelest
  [email-masked], SUNY Albany
Dawn Terkla
  [email-masked], Tufts University

U.S. NEWS AND WORLD REPORT:
Bob Morse
  [email-masked], U.S. News

**********************************************************************
* If you wish to subscribe, change your e-mail address, or request a *
* subscription for someone else, send it to Norm Gravelle, AIR Exec- *
*   utive Office ([email-masked]) [Florida State University].    *
*                    ----------------                                *
*     If you have AIR news, send it to Meihua Zhai, Editor, at:      *
*          ([email-masked]) [George Mason University].                *
*  (Please limit submissions to 72 characters or fewer per line and  *
*          use mixed case, NOT ALL CAPS--NO NEED TO SHOUT.)          *
*                    ----------------                                *
*  If you have news for the SCUP electronic newsletter, send it to   *
*  Terry Calhoun, SCUP Communications Director ([email-masked]).  *
*                   -----------------                                *
*   For further information regarding individual or organizational   *
* membership in the Association for Institutional Research, contact  *
*    Terrence Russell, Executive Director, AIR, 222 Stone Bldg.,     *
*       Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4462;        *
*  Telephone: (850) 644-4470 or on Internet: ([email-masked]).   *
*                   AIR WebPage: http://airweb.org                   *
**********************************************************************