Subject: [OKAIRP] FW: [e-AIR] Electronic AIR, 11/23/04 (Part A)

From: "Tyree, Laura" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:02:39 -0600

Below are a couple of articles from the electronic AIR that may be of interest.  -Laura

**********************************************************************
* HIGHERED.ORG NEWS - Common Data Set Exchange (CDSX) for 2004-05    *
*  John Milam and Mike Roma, HigherEd.org ([email-masked])       *
**********************************************************************

Common Data Set Exchange (CDSX) for 2004-05

HigherEd.org is pleased to announce that the Common Data Set Exchange
(CDSX) is available for 2004-05 CDS data. As the CDSX enters its third
year, there are over 350 participating institutions from all sectors of
postsecondary education.  The CDSX website is available at
http://highered.org/cdsx.

For those who are unfamiliar with the CDSX, this is a great opportunity
to review the site and see the benefits of participating in this free
and secure data exchange.  Provided through a partnership with The
Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, the CDSX includes
over 1,000 important pieces of data useful for peer comparisons.  It is
based on the Common Data Set (CDS) which has evolved through dialogue
between the college admissions guide publishers, the Association for
Institutional Research, and the institutional research community since
the early 1990’s.

Users may upload their CDS data using a spreadsheet provided by the
publishers (U.S. News, Peterson’s, and the College Board).  Or they may
enter their data using HTML forms.  After submitting data,
institutions may dynamically generate a spreadsheet (CSV file) that
includes just the data of interest to them.

The CDSX documentation page contains additional information about the
data exchange, including its use for internal institutional purposes
only and an updated list of member schools.  As you gear up to conduct
peer comparisons in 2004-05, now is the perfect time to register and
share your institution’s CDS data. The value of the CDSX grows
exponentially, with the increasing number of institutions.  So please
consider urging your peers to participate.

Over the past year, a number of improvements have been made to the
CDSX, including the creation of the “Plus Tools” which let you
dynamically generate Adobe PDF and HTML versions of your institution's
data, as well as host your CDS through a unique URL open to the public.
The Plus Tools cost just $50 a year.  They also allow you to
automatically download a spreadsheet with all data by section.

If you have questions or technical concerns, Mike Roma and the CDSX
Help Desk are available at [email-masked] and 540-722-6060.

Sincerely,
John Milam and Mike Roma

HigherEd.org, Inc.
21 South Kent St.
Winchester, VA 22601
(540) 722-6060 (voice)
http://highered.org/cdsx

*********************************************************************
* AAUP NEWS - AAUP Faculty Compensation Survey in Full Swing        *
*  John W. Curtis, AAUP Director of Research, ([email-masked])    *
*********************************************************************

The AAUP Faculty Compensation Survey 2004-05 is in full swing. For
complete instructions, please go to the survey Web page at
http://www.aaup.org/research/salary/salpart.htm.

Check out the FAQ page!

Thank you to all who have already submitted data. We are running a
little behind on sending out verification reports for those who
submitted their survey responses early, but we should be able to catch
up in the next two weeks. If you are the respondent for your
institution, you will receive your verification report by e-mail. If
you have not done so already, please return the completed survey by e-
mail to [email-masked] by December 10 to ensure timely processing. We
will definitely accept later survey returns, but we would like to allow
as much time for verification as possible prior to our publication
deadline; early data also makes our aggregate comparisons more
accurate.

We will be sending out information on ordering peer comparison reports
soon; we are revising the format of our peer reports and reviewing the
pricing. If you have any questions, please contact me or Doug Kinsella,
Research Associate. The best method is by e-mail to [email-masked];
you may also call the AAUP Research Office at (202) 737-5900 Ext. 3018.
Thanks very much for your participation!

John W. Curtis, Director of Research
American Association of University Professors, Washington, DC