[Okgrantsmanship] New Years Resolutions About Grants

Mason, Linda lmason at osrhe.edu
Tue Dec 23 11:17:40 CST 2008

10 NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS TO MAKE LIFE EASIER

Most experienced proposal developers have faced one or more of these
scenarios. But if you'd just as soon do without the drama, start the New
Year with this simple list of resolutions.

"Who's got the username and password?"
Many online proposal submission systems require usernames, passwords,
and/or personal identification numbers. Where are all those special
things kept? If they are only in someone's head or scratched on a series
of sticky notes, trouble could be right around the corner. People get
ill or quit their jobs unexpectedly...or worse. And there goes that
critical information!

Resolution #1
Keep one up-to-date list of all passwords, usernames, and special
numbers in a file for access by others if needed.

Resolution #2
Organize your office, your computer, and all your information so that a
new person could come in and (almost) pick up where you left off.

"My computer crashed" (or...the system went down!) Who hasn't lost a
document? Of course, it's usually an important one that you've labored
over for hours...and it disappears. Yes, just before a deadline.

Resolution #3
Save, save, save! Save your document on your hard drive and on a flash
drive, and also email it to yourself.

Resolution #4
If you don't already have a web-based email address, such as Gmail or
Yahoo, establish one. Use it as a repository for important documents.
Then, if you must use a different computer, you will be able to download
your document and pick up where you left off.

"I just started in this job, and I have found a grant that was awarded
to us, but no one knows a thing about it!" Strange as it sounds, this
happens. Someone (who?) solicited a grant and it was awarded. But no one
knows what has happened to it since then. There is no paperwork, there
is no memory.

Resolution #5
For a new person in the job, this can be a wonderful opportunity to
develop a relationship with the funder. If you can't find the records
and if no one in the organization knows anything, visit the funder.
Explain that you are new on the job, became aware of the grant, and as
part of your orientation want to find out more both about the funder and
about the grant. Use the conversation to learn about the funder's
perspective on the grant, and to identify any loose ends. Such a
conversation can actually enhance the credibility of both your
organization and your work.

Resolution #6
Involve others in planning as grant proposals are developed. Build your
team!

Resolution #7
Keep thorough records.

"I hit the 'submit' button and now I can't remember what I wrote!"
Online applications often require the applicant to enter information in
boxes, or on lines. When we try to cut corners we can run into the wall.

Resolution #8
Always prepare your response for an online grant application in a Word
document. Fine tune it. Get feedback from others. Edit it. Count your
words. Edit it. Spell-check it. Then check the spelling-for those words
that spell-check missed! Edit it. Finally, when you have polished your
document to perfection, copy and paste it into the funding source's
online form.

"Help! The funder requires a hard copy of the proposal and the copy
machine jammed!" (Or....the printer is out of ink! Or....) Some
organizations have very well-defined roles and responsibilities that
spell out who-and who may not-replace ink cartridges, download software,
or other essential tasks. But suppose it's Sunday afternoon and you're
trying to get a proposal ready for a next-day deadline. The copy machine
has jammed! And the person responsible for such things is nowhere to be
found.

Resolution #9
Become entirely self-sufficient. That means knowing where the paper is
kept, how to unjam the copier, how to replace ink and toner, and yes,
how to load the stapler! Be prepared to do everything yourself, with no
help.

"I can't find Ms. Executive Director to sign the application! Oh, she's
in Europe on vacation?"

Resolution #10
Plan ahead!

Readers: We're inviting you to share your most memorable "grants
nightmares" and suggested resolutions. Email them to us
<mailto:%7bcentered%7d at tgci.com>  by February 5, 2009, and we'll
highlight some of the best in an upcoming issue of Centered.

Patty Hasselbring is a consultant trainer for The Grantsmanship Center.
She has worked with nonprofits for over 25 years on both sides of the
funding desk: as executive director of grantseeking nonprofit
organizations and as executive director of a funding agency.

Linda Mason, Ed.D.

Coordinator for Grant Writing and External Funding

lmason at osrhe.edu

IP: 164.58.250.178