[Okgrantsmanship] Good Idea

Mason, Linda lmason at osrhe.edu
Thu Nov 29 09:43:57 CST 2012

Here is a question from the RESADM-L list serve (that translates into a good idea for Sponsored Programs offices) that may be of interest to you.

The Pre-award unit of our Sponsored Programs office has recently discussed the need for requiring letters of support/commitment for proposals specifying a specific vendor on Service or Consulting Agreements. For NIFA, NSF and NIH the letters are typically required and include # of hours, rate of pay, a small scope of work and the signature of the designated party. We are questioning whether to make the letter a requirement for all proposals with Service/Consulting Agreements.

Does anyone require these letters at the pre-award stage even if the sponsor does not explicitly ask for them to be included in the proposal package (ex: National Park Service, US Forest Service)? If so, and if you are willing to share, what is your methodology and/or policy for this?

Thank you in advance,
Sarah Martonick

Sponsored Programs Administrator
University of Idaho