[Okgrantsmanship] OSU Research Week Feb. 17-21 - Selected Research Week Events

Mason, Linda lmason at osrhe.edu
Wed Jan 29 15:12:11 CST 2014

You are welcome to participate in all of OSU's Research Week events. See http://researchweek.okstate.edu/. Here are just a few of the superb events that are available to the public during OSU Research Week:

Monday, Feb. 17 - 1:30
Andrew Lang - OPEN NOTEBOOK SCIENCE

Tuesday, Feb. 18 - 10:30am and 1:30 pm
Melchor Antunano - FAA Civil Aerospace Medical Institute
Exponential Technological Advances in Medicine
by Melchor J. Antunano
Things like Moore's Law, RAM cost, RAM size and supercomputing have led to innovations in medicine.
Without these technological advances we wouldn't have regenerative medicine, stem cells
therapies, bioengineering or cloning. The talk is scheduled for Tuesday, February 18 at 10:30 am in 408 Student Union, Case Study 1.
Innovations in Aerospace Transportation Technologies
by Melchor J. Antunano
This presentation by Melchor J. Antunano, director of the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration Civil Aerospace Medical Institute, will discuss technological developments in a wide variety of aircraft, including commercial passenger aircraft, hybrid aircraft, personal flying machines and unmanned aerial vehicles/systems. The talk is scheduled for Tuesday, February 18 at 1:30 pm in 408 Student Union, Case Study 1.

Wednesday, Feb. 19 - 7:00 pm - Alexandra Cousteau
Alexandra Cousteau
"This Blue Planet: Preserving & Sustaining a Healthy Earth"
On December 7, 1972, the crew of the Apollo 17 spacecraft took a photograph of Earth at a distance of about 45,000 km. This iconic picture captured what can only be truly appreciated from space: the fact that we live on a water planet. Cousteau's keynote presentation is scheduled for Wednesday, February 19
at 7:00 pm in the Student Union Theater. The talk is free and open to the public, but seating is limited so guests should arrive early.

Thursday, Feb. 20 - 7:00 pm - STEM Panel
Success Starts with STEM
On Thursday, February 20, OSU will welcome five distinguished panelists, who will present about their
backgrounds and the broad spectrum of success that can be achieved through studies in Science,
Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Panelists include:
* Nina Davuluri, the current Miss America and a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of
Education's national STEM Coalition
* Elaine Hutchison, the 2013 Oklahoma Teacher of the Year and an advanced math instructor at
Fairview High School
* Captain Heather E. Cole, Commander of Strategic Communications Wing ONE and Task Force 124
at Tinker Air Force Base
* Dr. Jennifer Volberding, Assistant Professor and Athletic Training Program Director for OSU
* Dr. Wes Fryer, Digital Learning Consultant for Speed of Creativity Learning LLC
The panel presentation begins at 7:00 pm in the Wes Watkins Center Exhibit Hall and will be followed by Q&A and a reception.

Dr. Linda Mason
Coordinator of Grant Writing
405-225-9486 desk
405-706-8757 cell
405-225-9230 FAX
lmason at osrhe.edu<mailto:lmason at osrhe.edu>
www.okhighered.org/grant-opps/<http://www.okhighered.org/grant-opps/>

Do not be afraid to give your time to writing grant proposals. Time given to planning proposals is never time lost, but is rather time gained, so that our research, our programs, our collaborations and indeed our whole profession may become more profoundly significant.