[COPLAC-IR] Foreign language requirement

Nancy Helsper helsper at morris.umn.edu
Mon Jun 27 08:12:34 CDT 2011

BA programs at the University of Minnesota, Morris have a foreign language
requirement, also.  It is worded in this way:

    II.  *B.  Foreign Language (FL)*—Proficiency in a single language other
than English at the level equivalent to the first full year of college
language study. This requirement can be met in any one of the following
ways:

·      Successfully completing a beginning language II course

·      Achieving an appropriate score on a placement exam

·      Passing a special examination, such as AP or CLEP, or

·      For non-native speakers of English, successfully petitioning the
Scholastic Committee for an exemption.

            Placement tests are given by language disciplines to determine
the level of proficiency of a student with prior coursework. Students who
plan to complete courses in the same language that they studied in high
school must take the placement examination and abide by the placement
recommendation. If, after an initial exposure to the recommended course, the
placement seems inappropriate, they may follow the recommendation of their
language instructor as to the proper entry course.
Nancy Helsper

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Dorman, Laura Gransky <lgran1 at uis.edu>wrote:

>  Hi Everyone,****
>
> ** **
>
> My Provost is wanting to know which of the COPLAC institutions have an
> undergraduate foreign language requirement, and if so, the nature of the
> requirement.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> Can you help me provide her with the information?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> ** **
>
> Laura Dorman****
>
> Director, Office of Institutional Research****
>
> University of Illinois Springfield****
>
> ** **

Nancy Helsper, Director of Institutional Research
Coordinator of Assessment / Catalog Coordinator
University of Minnesota, Morris
315 Behmler Hall
600 East 4th St.
Morris, MN 56267