[COPLAC-IR] Foreign language requirement

Julie Rao rao at geneseo.edu
Mon Jun 27 10:07:01 CDT 2011

Hi Laura,

Geneseo has a foreign language requirement as follows:

*FOREIGN LANGUAGE*

      A. Any student who matriculates *before Fall 2003* must
      demonstrate proficiency in one foreign language through the *102
      level.*

      B. Any student who begins a degree program at Geneseo or elsewhere
      *in or after Fall 2003* must demonstrate proficiency in one
      foreign language through the *201 level.*

Ways of demonstrating proficiency

Foreign Language Proficiency

All Geneseo students who began their undergraduate careers *before Fall
2003* must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language through the
*102 level.* This may be done in any of the following ways:

   1. Four units of high school foreign language (i.e., completion of a
      high school language sequence through Level IV, one year beyond
      the Regents Examination)*AND* a score of 85 or above on the
      Regents Examination.
   2. A score of 3 or above on the Advanced Placement Examination in a
      foreign language.
   3. Placement above the 102 level on Geneseo's language placement
      examination. (This examination may be taken during Orientation or
      on the first day of Fall semester.)
   4. Completion of college-level work in a foreign language (at Geneseo
      or another institution) through the 102 (second semester,
      elementary) level.

All Geneseo students who begin their undergraduate careers *in or after
Fall 2003* must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language through
the *201 level.* This may be done in any of the following ways:

   1. Four units of high school foreign language (i.e., completion of a
      high school language sequence through Level IV, one year beyond
      the Regents Examination)*AND* a score of 85 or above on the
      Regents Examination.
   2. A score of 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement Examination in a
      foreign language.
   3. Placement above the 201 level on Geneseo's language placement
      examination. (This examination may be taken during Orientation or
      on the first day of Fall semester.)
   4. Completion of college-level work in a foreign language (at Geneseo
      or another institution) through the 201 (first semester,
      intermediate) level.

Julie Rao

Director of Institutional Research
SUNY College at Geneseo
Erwin 222
rao at geneseo.edu
585.245.5553 - phone
585.245.5096 - fax - Note the change to the fax number
Check out the Fact Book, Just the Facts! and the Common Data Set at http://go.geneseo.edu/IR