[COPLAC-IR] Departmental Student to Faculty Ratio

Archer Gravely gravely at unca.edu
Wed Feb 27 09:23:07 CST 2013

we generate student credit hours (SCH) per faculty FTE all the time.  This
would include majors and non-majors and provides a measure of instructional
productiivty for the dept.  A lot of our faculty teach outside the dept, so
that adds complications and we usually include the SCH (course enrollment X
credit hrs) for courses outside the dept.  Science depts often have labs
that have contact hours but no credit hours thus 0 SCH.  So we also
calculate contact hours per faculty fte.  The difficult part is how to
account for the exceptions - e.g. lab managers that teach and/or deans,
etc.  These are just a few things to think about.  You may want to look at
the Delaware Study.

-archer
Archer Gravely, Director
Institutional Research