[COPLAC-IR] CIRCLE project comparison group too small

Coghlan, Laura coghlanl at evergreen.edu
Thu Jun 6 11:50:50 CDT 2013

Greetings COPLAC IR/IE colleagues,

In a communication today with Nancy Thomas, director of the National Study of Learning, Voting, and Engagement at Tufts University, she informed me of her concern that only 8 of the 26 COPLAC institutions have signed on to the project.  They are holding off on running the data, because they can only run the batches of records once, and many of the comparison groups, including our COPLAC group are not large enough to be able to use for the study.

If you have not done so, I hope that you might consider joining this initiative and submitting your authorization form as soon as possible.  It would be a shame to miss out on this new potential quality indicator of civic engagement given that this is a current interest of the COPLAC presidents.

http://www.civicyouth.org/about-circle/nslve/

Thank you for your consideration, and I hope to meet many of you in West Virginia in a couple of weeks.

Laura Coghlan
Director of Institutional Research and Assessment
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, WA
(360) 867-6676