[COPLAC-IR] NSSE COPLAC consortium

Sarah Hardy sarah.hardy at maine.edu
Thu Sep 5 15:53:06 CDT 2013

Hi all,

The main value for UMF of the COPLAC NSSE consortium is being able to use
the COPLAC participating institutions as a comparison group. As far as I
know nothing was ever done with the additional questions. Since I have
never administered any of the NSSE surveys I don't know if being part of a
consortium means it is automatically one of your comparison groups, or if
the participating institutions still need to be chosen individually.

Sarah

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Kristina Bendikas <K.Bendikas at mcla.edu>wrote:

> Hi Cathy,
>
> I think you raise good points.  We will not be doing our next NSSE until
> spring 2015.   We are changing from a two year to a three year cycle.  At
> that time we plan to add the Writing module and the Advising module.  As I
> review the COPLAC questions, I see a lot of overlap with other NSSE
> questions and with what is already asked or what we have/do on campus. Are
> we really getting information we can get no other way, and do we really
> need to know it because we can make good use of it?  If not, then we
> should not be adding them.
>
> Best,
>
> Kris
>
> A1 - we have this (more accurately) in Banner
> A2 - we plan on doing the Advising module
> A3 - ?  not sure how we'd use this
> A4 - can get at this from new Engagement Indicators (old Campus
> Environment)
> A5 and A6 - can get at this from new Engagement Indicators (old Academic
> Challenge)
> A7 and A8 - can get at this from new Engagement Indicators (old
> Experiences with Faculty)
> A9 - this question is just for freshmen and the results coming in late
> summer would not be useful in addressing this
> A10 - we do want to know, but already do a withdrawal survey and interview
> that teases out these reasons in more detail than here
>

> ***

Sarah Hardy, PhD
Associate Professor of Mathematics
University of Maine Farmington