[Counselors] Job Shadowing

gdubois at ridgerunners.net gdubois at ridgerunners.net
Tue Dec 3 14:25:20 CST 2013

Our Alternative Academy students do a job shadow each semester.  First,
they take an interest inventory (on OKCIS) and then pick out the three jobs
they are most interested in.  They have to do some research on the jobs,
find out educational requirements, salary, etc.  They pick one of the three
to job shadow.   Our Alternative Ed director finds businesses in town that
have those jobs or something close to it.  They have done this for several
years, so she has contacts with most of the businesses in town.  The
student then writes a letter to the person at the business they wish to
shadow, along with the letter they enclose a form that the business must
sign and send back.  The student also signs an agreement form, basically
saying they will follow school rules and that they will behave
appropriately on the job site.  Parents sign as well if the student is
under 18.  All students job shadow on the same day, and it's only 2 hours
(9-11).  This is partly because our Alternative Academy is on a shortened
school day.
To my knowledge, this has always worked well and we have not had any issues
with our students.  A couple of students have even had job offers through
this program.

Gayle DuBois
Grove High School

Email Notice:
Under state and federal laws, public school email content and addresses are
public records. Your email address and the contents of any email sent to
the sender of this communication will be released in response to any
request for public records, except as excluded by state and federal laws.
If you do not want your email (content and address) to be released as part
of any public records request do not send email to this address, rather
contact the sender by phone or in writing. Emails sent to and from Grove
Public School's email system will be archived in accordance with the
district's archival policy.