[Counselors] Fw: Re[2]: QUESTION: OAM

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Apr 2 14:23:46 CDT 2014

Don't get me started!!!!! BUT..

We have parents wanting to opt out of both OCCT and OCCRA
I questioned why an item tryout or field tests should effect the report
card...misleading answers ........
 What the heck!!!

 The question about the 95% and the OCCRA tests
As follows with the answer from Joyce Defur!!

Good morning!
Could you clarify something for me!

The Item Tryout tests given by Measured Progress.  We are to test 95% of
our students--do our students need to do a makeup test if they aren't here?
  and how do these item tryout tests effect our school report card?
Thank you!

Joyce's answer:

By law, there is no distinction made between item tryouts and regular
operational testing. Both are required under the same law since operational
testing is dependent upon valid piloting, and both are subject to the same
rules and penalties which is overseen and governed by the State Board.
Whether this rule will be enforced or whether the State Board would
determine for the penalty to go against a school's accreditation report
would be for this board to determine. You should make every effort to test
all possible students.

Joyce

Rule states that schools must have tested at least 95% and if they don't,
 their school letter grade would be lowered by one...if 90 % or less, it is
automatic F

SO IF we don't have 90% we get an "F" on an ITEM TRYOUT!!!   for our
school, that is 9--yes NINE students opting out.....

HAVE  I COMPLETELY MISUNDERSTOOD?   WHERE DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE.

I too love my job---working with students and parents---but this testing
takes AWAY from our real purpose and that is teaching/serving our students.

Thanks for the opportunity to RANT!!!

*Linda Rauh*
*School Counselor*
*Canton Public Schools*