[Counselors] Money for extra duties??

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Apr 4 10:39:21 CDT 2014

GUYMON SCHOOLS SUMMARY:
ALL Certified Staff (excluding administration) start at $2,000 above state
required (steps and degrees included)
ALL Counselors are paid an additional $3,400 for working 10 extra days
split between before school begins and after last day (basically we work
August 1st-May 31st.)

Duties are distributed by grade level we counsel but no extra monies are
applied:
PK-2nd- have no testing but go into classrooms as part of the duties.
Grades 3-8 have access to District Test Coordinator as in an advisory role
and one of correcting errors or misunderstandings with online issues. WAVE
uploads all testing information automatically.
3rd-4th- state testing "upload and behind scenes" is covered by registrar
and counselor but administered by teachers. The counselor does go into
classrooms as part of the counseling duties.
5th-6th- state testing "upload and behind scenes" is covered by registrar
and counselor and online testing administered by counselor but paper tests
are administered by teachers. The counselor does go into classrooms as part
of the duties.
7th-8th- state testing "upload and behind scenes" is covered by District
Test Coordinator and counselor and online testing administered by counselor
(if we had one...currently a superintendent has stepped in). Normally, the
counselor does go into homerooms if information needs passed to a group as
part of regular duties.
9th-12th- 2 counselors at HS split duties. The District Testing Coordinator
(separate job from any certified staff member but under superintendent's
certification and sign-off) uploads and tracks EOI takes and retakes.
Counselor responsibilities are test administration only.  This year we have
only had to be out of our offices 15 days so far with retakes and have 10
more scheduled in Spring window.  We are thankful for only 25 of our days
messed up with testing this year as opposed to the years when tracking and
uploads were the counselor's responsibility. Duties we split: IEP, 504,
Food Pantry, teaching a college readiness/communications in conflict
course, senior scholarships, student advocate and mediators, enrollment,
grief counseling, GEAR UP coordinator, OK Promise pushers, School
Improvement team.

I know far more was listed in the high school area, not because we do more
than the others WE DON'T, but because I know exactly what we do! All of
Guymon counselors have between 400-450 students to their charge and all do
a fabulous job. We are just too busy to sit down and talk about what we do.
I am in no way complaining about the job asked of us nor the pay received
for it. I feel blessed to be a part of a district that is trying to let
counselors be counselors. It is a tough job but I feel like we make a
positive difference and are supported by our administration and our school
board for doing so. Everyone chips in where needed. (This is evident in the
fact that no counselor could be found for the junior high this year and all
other counselors/admin have helped bridge the gap for the 400+ students.)

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 9:42 AM, OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board
<counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

>  Go to OKCPS.org and under HR , click on Compensation -Benefits, look for
> our AFT Collecting Bargaining Agreement, you can look up all teacher,
> counselor,etc  salaries.  We are paid  about $3,000 more a year than a
> teacher, we work 196 days and teachers work 181. If you look at our pay
> scale, look at yrs of experience (2nd column)not the steps.
>

> June Woodall
>
> iOKCPS

Dana Martin, M.Ed.
11th & 12th Counselor