[Counselors] Money for extra duties??

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Apr 4 10:48:28 CDT 2014

I think that the pay for counselors is left up to the individual districts to decide. I noticed before I became a school counselor that it does not specifically say on any pay schedule on the OSDE website how much counselors are supposed to be paid. It does not even have a base salary. I believe that this causes there to be a vast difference in the interpretation of where to begin when determining salary base.  I am fortunate that I work for a district that considers the work that I do and pays me fairly for it.  My superintendent called me at the beginning of the summer after my first year and stated that she was going to put me on a 12 month contract because it was obvious that there is no beginning or end to my duties. Yes, this means I have summer work hours, but as I said before, I am paid fairly for that. I think that something needs to be done on the state level to make
counselor's salaries more consistent like those of teachers and also takes into consideration ALL of the responsibilities/duties that we are assigned as well as the number of hours/days/months per year we work in order for things to go as smoothly as they do (despite constant changes in testing process).

Mary Pierce
Bennington Schools