[Counselors] Question regarding class periods for seniors

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Feb 5 12:53:45 CST 2014

We allow seniors who have all of their graduation requirements (25 credits
and 4/7 EOI) and a job that pays with a business check to have a "work
program." The work program course is listed in the SIS as a class but has
no credit or GPA attachments.  We use it more as a filler to show a
complete schedule.  If the student needs either more classes or more passed
EOIs, the senior is not allowed to participate in the last hour "work
program" course.  If the senior does not have a job that pays with a
business check or direct deposit, the student is not allowed to miss the
last hour.

I ask for the employers name and contact information at the beginning of
the semester and for a pay stub per quarter as documentation for proof of
employment.  If a student quits or loses their job, they must let me know
immediately and then get enrolled in a last hour class unless they have a
new job already. If this is the case, I just change employer info and go on
with allowance of work program.  We do not just allow seniors to have only
six hours unless both graduation and job requirements are met. (The job
does not have to be attended during the last hour; some students work only
on the weekend, but still qualify.)

Work program can be revoked if the senior decided not to take care of their
educational needs in the remaining six classes.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM, OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion
Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> [...]

Dana Martin, M.Ed.
11th & 12th Counselor
Guymon High School