[Counselors] Question regarding HB1378, CPR

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Oct 31 12:47:03 CDT 2014

My principal and I looked up the bill and went through it piece by piece to
try and figure out the requirements. The part we found catching was that it
requires the use of psychomotor skills and then defines psychomotor skills
as hands-on. It is our understanding that we would need dummies for the
students to practice on. I have copied and pasted the exact wording from
the bill below.

An Act relating to schools; amending 70 O.S. 2011, Section 1210.199, which
relates to the Dustin Rhodes and Lindsay Steed CPR Training Act; requiring
that certain students receive instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation
and certain awareness between certain grade levels; providing for waivers
and exceptions; allowing certain students to receive instruction in the
Heimlich maneuver between certain grades; directing the State Board of
Education to establish a monitoring procedure; requiring the use of
psychomotor skills in certain program; directing that program shall be
based upon certain instructional programs; providing definition; permitting
use of certain personnel; allowing certain agreements; requiring certain
instructor for certification instruction; and providing an effective date.

*G.  For purposes of this section, "psychomotor skills" means the use of
hands-on practice to support cognitive learning.*

*Heather Holland*

Springer Public Schools

School Counselor/Psychometrist