[Counselors] Documentation

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Jan 20 16:42:52 CST 2015

Depends on reason of visit..
I put all of mine into this spreadsheet so that I can sort by name, grade,
date, reason, etc at any time. I can print the columns A-G for our
attendance clerk at any time without running a risk of confidentiality
being broken because the codes for the reason they came in are not seen,
only the numeric code. Nobody knows what each code is and even if they did,
the confidential details of that code never show on the printed page.

I use columns I-P for simple notes about the meeting. (If they came for
Reason 3 in regards to their future plans, I can write "Military- Navy" in
the notes to remind me to contact our Navy recruiter. If its Reason 1, I
can write "Needs grad check." I only use this section of notes to write
brief snippets to help me but never the details of a personal crisis.)

When a personal crisis comes through that needs the door closed for
conversation, I write those notes in a totally different area that is under
lock and key without risk of exposure. I still mark a 2 in the reason
column and may write "Contact parent" or "issue resolved", but nothing
about the why.

The follow-up date column is used if I need to remember to call them in
again or if I have a future meeting scheduled over the same issue. It helps
make my rogue ducks just a little more linear... Most appointments have no
follow-up date.

I put my name in the title at the top instead of "Counselor" because there
is more than one counselor at our site.