[Counselors] Career Days

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Mar 3 10:40:59 CST 2015

We do a career day event that works great...   We usually do this over a
half-day.  Either we just have the  sessions- or we have also started out
with a guest speaker addressing all students prior to breakout session
talking about "secrets of success" or planning for college, careers in
general.

In the break out sessions, we have 5 sessions of 20 minutes in length with
5 minutes between each session.  One of the mandatory sessions for 9th & 10
is interview/job skills.   The juniors and seniors do a mock interview as
one of their session (Kids line up to interview in order of arrival and
wait for their turn, I have several community volunteer interviewers, and
they each briefly interview 2-3 kids during each 20 minute session.)    I
ask the mock interviewers use a feedback form to give students feedback on
how they did, and give suggestions, etc.   I have found that the
interviewer volunteers enjoy this, and have even had students get hired for
real jobs!

If time allows, I recommend going into classrooms and doing a resume
building lesson with them before hand or enlisting the help of your English
teachers on this.  I have also used incentives and prizes for top
interviewees (prize tickets for those who bring their resume, do a good
job, etc. for end of day drawing).

As for sessions,  I try to get enough speakers so that we can have each
session with 20 or less students.  I just try to get a variety of alums,
parents, community members and college reps to allow for enough sessions.
I get everything confirmed and go into classes about a week ahead and talk
to kids about career day and let them pick their top 5 session requests.  I
work up their schedule in advance with the help my student aids.   It is a
lot of coordination, but something that usually works great in the end.
You could also pre-determine that everyone goes through sessions as a group
by grade to save prep time, but I have found the kids really enjoy getting
to pick their own sessions.

Hope this helps!

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 1:51 PM, OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board
<counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> Do any counselors have ideas for hosting a Career Day at school?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Jessica Sauls
> Counselor
> Hugo High School