[Counselors] Shared Document on Behavior Issues

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon Nov 9 16:22:51 CST 2015

I'm not sure of confidentiality breakage but I would be concerned of "can't get out of the hole of bad kid image thing" once a group of teachers read the infraction in a class other than his/her own. If I don't know a kid has a reputation for poor choices, I give them a fair chance to not do those poor choices. Being raised in a small school system, I know classmates that made poor decisions in fifth grade that haunted them with teachers through high school. Would this solidify in print the juvenile infraction and run the risk of permanent labels? It's like reading a police blogger that makes me think differently of people I don't even know. And who would get create/edit rights or read only? Do you put the suspected act, proven infraction, or given punishment? In the large system I work in now as a counselor, I see teachers who don't know the kids past give them a fair present. I also see kids who chose poorly in poorly run classes that flourish in classes with more effectively run structure. Would this be possible if the structured teacher read the Google doc? In the 23 years as an educator, I've seen teachers be human..."'Bad kid' hurt my child's heart...I'll run his/her reputation through the mud with every teacher I can so he/she will know what pain is." (And the parent/teacher doesn't even know when they are doing it because to them they vent to their friends with no conscious recollection of their friend being his/her teacher.  I don't understand the need for such a thing. Really not trying to be a naysayer. Help me out.

What need does this meet? Or what would it accomplish in your district?
Sent from my iPhone

Educator Handbook
I'm new at this school, so I'm not sure how it works.  Everyone gets a log in. Teacher submit behavior incidents which go directly to administrator.

This is a very delicate manner.  I would meet with the people involved with this student in person and not on E-mail or paper because it is a confidentiality issue.  Just my opinion.  Or let them come to you with specific behaviors that you could brainstorm with them triggers, etc.
Sylvia Sterling
School Psychologist
   Okla. School for the Blind