[Counselors] DUAL ENROLLMENT

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Apr 22 09:34:57 CDT 2016

The Comp 1 counts as our 1st semester English 4 and Comp 2 as 2nd semester.
We list it as what the college calls it (ex. OPSU ENGL 1113) for the course
name on the transcript and then we code it in our student information
system as the same code for English IV, in our system it is E4. We do the
same for all concurrent course work. State law says we must put it on
transcripts and let it count for what it is. If a student chooses to take
the US History concurrently, they may use it on the high school transcript
as the US History requirement. Because most of our kids don't jump into
concurrent until their senior year and US History is a junior class for us,
their concurrent US History gets coded as a US History but ends up actually
counting as an elective since the requirement was already filled.

Where confusion comes up is when they rock their AP English test as a
junior and qualify for credit in Comp 1 at the college. The student still
has to get a full credit of English 4 on the transcript so they typically
take at least 1 semester of English 4 on our campus and then can choose the
other half to be from concurrent's Comp 2 class if so desired. They do not
get to count a passed AP exam as an additional year of English credit.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 8:25 AM, OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion
Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> Do you give your Jrs and Srs Dual Enrollment credit on their transcript?
> For example, if they take Comp 1 and Comp 2 do you also give them Eng IV?
> How does your school do it?
>
> Thanks,
> --
>  Sandra Carter