[Counselors] Art and music for 7th and 8th grades

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Dec 13 09:48:30 CST 2016

We don't have art for middle school students (I wish we did!), but we do offer band to those students. Band is a yearlong elective.

An alternate plan and some research offered by a counselor:
Performing Music Teaches Valuable Lessons to Students

While listening to enjoyable music may improve cognition and math skills, performing music offers more advantages. Learning music improves math skills because, at some level, all music is math. It's about time
signatures, beats per minute and formulaic progressions. Performing music, therefore, reinforces parts of the brain used when doing math. Studies even show that children who play instruments
http://www.vancouversun.com/Entertainment/interesting+connection+between+math+music/1473881/story.html#__federated=1
are able to complete complex mathematical problems better than peers who do not play instruments.

Students who commit themselves to learning an instrument may also learn other skills that help them perform better in school. It takes a considerable amount of patience to practice scales, and children who apply
similar patience to doing schoolwork will have an advantage over those who don't. Fine motor skills are also improved by playing musical instruments.

Taking time to appreciate music is a reward on its own. For the teachers and parents trying to help children succeed, that time could also improve math and academic skills.
>From https://www.brainbalancecenters.com/blog/2015/04/correlation-between-math-and-music-ability/

QUESTION: