[Counselors] Enrolling Elementary Student from Homeschool

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon Jan 25 13:15:51 CST 2016

That has been a really big issue this year. We have students being pulled out of public education to be home-schooled or to attend online virtual school. They come with nothing usually from both. We make them take a star reading and math test at the grade level they should be. We then look at the scores, talk to the parents and student, before deciding placement.  This sometimes is very difficult to do, especially when they are not ready to be where they think they should be.
We have nothing for this in our policy book. We will be taking care of that before the new school year rolls around.  If anyone has a school policy they would like to share, that would be fantastic!

We use the WRAT grade placement test.  It is a quick assessment, but not as in depth as the Woodcock.

When I as counselor in Guymon, we gave them a test for grade level they wished to enroll in or had completed. That test was given to Ass't Sup. in charge of Testing. That person decided where to place them.
Nancy G. Reed, Counselor Keyes Schools