[Counselors] State Testing

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon Jan 25 22:00:35 CST 2016

The last 3 years, I ran the testing at the middle school level, but now that I am at the high school level, I do not have to do that.  Last year, I pushed it back as late as I could because our teachers really needed that extra time for teaching because our test scores were very low the year before.  Having more time for curriculum is a pro, but the cons are: do you have enough computers to push it back, do you have enough time to get all special-ed small groups done,  and will you have time for make-ups for absent students?

We offered an attendance incentive, to ensure that students would be there which helped on make-ups.  We had a big party the last week or 2nd to the last week of school for those who just showed-up and behaved during all testing days.

I hope this helps.
Michelle Pursell
Carl Albert High School
Counselor Q-Z

We start early and do make-up until the last minute

I work at a small K-12 school. We always start our younger student's testing right away. It takes a long time even at a small school to do the small groups with accommodations. Junior high and high school we spread out a little more but try to be done by first week of May to allow time for make-ups.  I have some teachers that like to wait for their students to be tested last but I have too many variables to consider to do that every time. It doesn't seem to make a difference either way. Most students are just ready to get it over with.

Sent from my iPhone

HOW much time is enough time for makeups?