[Counselors] Student who is Native Alaskan

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Mar 2 20:52:00 CST 2016

I asked Jacob Tsotigh for help with your question Regan.  This is what he sent:

You can start by looking the http://niea.org/ website where there is a tab for scholarships that should be helpful for starters.  The American Indian Graduate Center administers several scholarships.

Jacob Tsotigh
University of Oklahoma
1639 Cross Center Drive
Norman, OK. 73019

The student should be able to apply to their specific tribe for assistance. Most of the Native Alaskan tribes have scholarships offering assistance to their citizens. There are some outside scholarships that are specifically for native students. Most of these are major specific, such as the Indian Health Services scholarships.  The student should contact their specific tribe.

Thank you, Sarah Batone!!
michelle at rattan.k12.ok.us<mailto:michelle at rattan.k12.ok.us>

On Mar 2, 2016, at 3:00 PM, OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net<mailto:counselors at lists.onenet.net<mailto:counselors at lists.onenet.net%3cmailto:counselors at lists.onenet.net>>> wrote:

I have a student who is Native Alaskan and looking for scholarships. Any suggestions? Each tribe in Oklahoma has grants to apply for and I am not finding any specifically geared toward Native Alaskan Indians.

Thanks

--
Regan Foreman
Checotah High School Counselor