[Counselors] Issues with Epic Records Requests

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Aug 31 07:44:17 CDT 2017

We had same problem last year. When we finally was able to talk to someone, they said they don't start their school year until after Labor Day.

Contact your local accreditation officer and they can help.  Leslie Janis is the person at the OK State Dept. of Education that is over Charter schools which EPIC is considered a charter school.

Hi,
I totally feel your pain.  I have had several issues with EPIC as well.  When EPIC refuses to give me the students records, I let my Superintendent know.  He calls our accreditation officer and lets him know.  He then will call EPIC and I usually get the records pretty quick.  I hope this helps.
amy.l.rosenfelt at westernheights.k12.ok.us<mailto:amy.l.rosenfelt at westernheights.k12.ok.us>

We have had the same issues. Our special education director even called OSDE to complain, but didn't get any help there. We also had issues last year with them not releasing students on the WAVE until after October 1st even though the students enrolled with us weeks prior. I am not sure what else to do since OSDE could not help. We have been nice, hateful, and persistent. Nothing has worked. If anyone knows of anything else, we'd love to try it!

Tina Jeffreys
Soper School

We have sent so many requests for records it’s pitiful and we cannot get a reply!  I spent hours on hold and was finally able to leave a message… I have done this 4 times now… no response.  Our other counselor did finally get through to a person and was told she couldn’t get records on the 2 students she needed because they had equipment that belongs to them and they will not release records until the equipment is returned….
arussell at nobleps.com<mailto:arussell at nobleps.com>

We have the same problem!!
I do not know rules about how long they have to comply.  Sorry

Melanie Hayes
Counselor for 10th grade through 12th grade students O-Z
Norman High School
Norman Public Schools
(405) 366-5812

"How are students different because of what school counselors do?"

YES!  We have the same problem!  They won't even return a phone call to us I've called so much.

YES!!!!!!  This is an ongoing problem even for students who do not have anything to turn in!!!   Public schools are *no where* on their priority list.   I hope someone has a solution to this!  SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!

I was told the same excuse that you were about equipment. When I told them that we needed the records and the three day rule I was told that the State Dept. of Education gave them special permission not to release records if the student still had equipment checked out!  Of course that was told to me when the state dept. was under "different management". Is there any recourse for this?

We are having the SAME issue!!!
lawsonal at adapss.com<mailto:lawsonal at adapss.com>

I have had the same problem...sent numerous requests.  Finally called the district office in Tulsa and they just happened to have my request on their desk.

Janey Sutton
Welch Public Schools
Pk-12 Counselor
707 S Curtis
Welch, OK  74369
918-788-3129 ext. 3
rjsutton at welchwildcats.net<mailto:rjsutton at welchwildcats.net>

"Leap....and the net will appear."

We had the exact same issue. We told them we wanted to hold records when they owed us also but couldn't. They ended up sending us the records.

Sandra Carter
Maysville Public Schools

I was always told that it was against the law to withhold records for overdue books, equipment, etc.

Cindy Bryant, NBCT, M.Ed.
Director, Idabel Alternative Academy
Counselor, Idabel Middle School
100 NE Avenue D
Idabel, OK   74745
(580) 286-6558  Phone
(580) 286-8272 FAX

*Some days there won't be a song in your heart.  Sing anyway!*

QUESTION:
Hi,
We have been unable to receive any records on our students that are coming to us from EPIC.  Is anyone else having this problem.  We have sent multiple requests, some from as early as 8/10/17 and cannot get anyone to send a single record.  When we finally got to speak with a person today, they told us that they are refusing to give us records on four of our students that still have equipment that belongs to them (EPIC) and that they will not release their records until that equipment has been returned.  Are they able to withhold their records from us?  I thought that we all only had 3 days to comply when we get requests?