[Counselors] FW: Cell Phones

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Dec 6 15:41:20 CST 2017

Our 5th and 6th grades must turn phones into their teacher first thing in the morning and can get them back at the end of the day. If they are caught with a phone during the day the 1st time, the phone stays in the principal's office until the end of the day. Second offense and after, a parent must come pick it up.
Our 7th - 12th grade may have a phone out before school and at lunch. If they have it out during class, the teacher may take it and keep it until the end of the day. Each individual teacher decides when it is time for an office referral, then corporal punishment is used.
One teacher has a charging station in her classroom. All the students take advantage of this, which gets them to "turn them in" each day.

In our building, each teacher sets their own rules for their classroom about cell phones. Some use phones as instructional tools more than others. Some allow phone use once work is complete. Some have a strict “no phone out ever” policy. One teacher has little hand sewn pouches he requires students to take and put their phone in when they come to class. The pouch remains in the student’s possession during class, but because their phone is in the case, they can’t see when they are getting texts, etc. His practice seems to work the best because it allows the kids to keep their phone, but removes the distraction of seeing the screen all the time.
Jennifer Sack | Counselor
Tulsa Public Schools, Booker T. Washington High School
1514 E. Zion St, Room 319, Tulsa, OK 74106
T: 918-925-1004
sackje at tulsaschools.org<mailto:sackje at tulsaschools.org>
www.tulsaschools.org<http://www.tulsaschools.org>

Our policy says that students may have cell phones, but may not use them without teacher permission.  The 1st offense is that the phone is taken to the office for the remainder of the day,. The 2nd offense is that the parent must come pick the phone up after school. The following offenses can result in ISS or OSS.

Question:
I understand that this is a controversial topic, but I would appreciate input from others.  If you have a cell phone policy that is really working in your high school, please tell me what it is.  Do any districts have their students check their phones in to a central location when they arrive at school?  Thank you.