[Counselors] question about student info systems

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Dec 6 15:41:47 CST 2017

Over the course of being in Education (18 years), I have used Sasi, PowerSchool, and Wengage. Out of those 3 PowerSchool is the most user friendly.  You can easily run reports and find student information. You may have as many tabs/windows open in the Program as you want.  The school I am currently at uses Wengage; it is like pulling teeth to find what I need and this isn't my first time to use Wengage.
Thank you,
Mechell Cash, M.Ed, LPC
Beggs High School Counselor
(918) 267-3625 ext. 0306
1201 West 9th
Beggs, OK 74421

We are using WENGAGE and I like it. Now that it is web based I have the ability to use my MAC at home or the desktop at school and my phone too. It was so much easier to add classes this year since I could do it from home and school. I usually spend hours after school entering and changing things and now I can work from home.

We are a Wengage/MAS district. I LOVE all the things that we are able to do through that system AND the customer service support they provide. However, we are moving to their internet based system and it has a very different look/feel/interface and I am struggling to make the transition. They (MAS) are working out the kinks, but those coupled with the removal (or maybe I just have not found them yet) of several features that I use regularly, are frustrating. Normally I roll with changes, but I've found I'm not rolling with this so easily. I am also very concerned about how this is going to work with enrollment/scheduling this next round as it seems to take FOREVER long to get from screen to screen in the new internet based system. There are lots of screens involved in that process for us. Not a problem in the old system, but I suspect it's going to be now. :(

We use WenGage and I have not used the other programs so nothing that I can compare for you.  We have just upgraded to the new internet interface and I have some mixed feeling with it.  It is just changes that I have to get used too.  I do enjoy the different features with WenGage and the customer service is amazing.  So friendly and helpful.  The call back time is usually very quick!

Michelle Murray
School Counselor

Our school district uses MAS. This the only program I have used so I cannot compare for you. The one thing I think is great is the customer service with MAS. I have called them many times needing different reports and information and they always call back quickly and are very helpful. I find the transcripts and building schedules quite easy to manipulate and pull information from. Our school switched a few years back but came back to MAS. Our system uploads to the WAVE nightly and the only errors I have gotten has to do with putting languages for ELL. It's picky with that. You are welcome to call if you have specific questions.
bowers at mooreland.k12.ok.us<mailto:bowers at mooreland.k12.ok.us>

We use Wengage.  I have no problem with it.  I have had no experience with any other company, so I really cannot compare.  The one thing that I really appreciate is the friendliness of the  representatives, and the help they give.  I have never had a negative experience with any of the representatives.

We have Wengage. We have had it since I began working here and it's all I know. The ladies that you call when you need assistance have always been kind to me. We are currently moving to an online system with them, it's a learning curve, but doable.
However, I have worked with other counselors who have had PowerSchool and they prefer it to Wengage, saying it's much more user friendly.

We use MAS.  It just updated to a whole new system last month.  It is now easier to assess from outside school if needed.  It has good points and bad.  I think that the more you use it, the easier it gets like any other software.  However, learning how to use it you watch videos. If you don't have the time, it can be frustrating.  They are easy to assess online.  If you have an issue you get a username to call in and they return your call.  They have always called me back within 10 minutes and helped tremendously with any issues I have had.  I am used to the system, so I don't mind it. But as far as getting data, you have to be sure you’re in the right year and location to access it.  When it comes to testing you have to transfer in scores or input them by hand.  There are some issues with these points.
mmcclenny at hugoschools.com<mailto:mmcclenny at hugoschools.com>

We use MAS. My previous school used MAS as well. I've worked with it for 15 years and really like it. I think it's easy to use; however, like all new software, it will take time to learn everything.
kathygolay at waukomis.k12.ok.us<mailto:kathygolay at waukomis.k12.ok.us>

Okarche has had good luck with wengage (MAS)

Hi All,
Our district is looking at changing student infomation systems.  I was wondering if anyone would share their good & bad experience with windgage (MAS), powerschool or infinite campus from a transcript/scheduling/HS user-friendly/wave compatible standpoint if you have any of these programs.  Anonymous answers welcome.

Thank you :)

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.