[Counselors] Counseling Report

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Feb 22 12:08:56 CST 2017

There's a book I'd like to recommend to you by Trish Hatch called *The Use
of Data in School Counseling*. I heard her speak a few years, ago, & I've
completely bought into her philosophy about school counselors keeping data.
Data is important for many reasons. With the state not having the funds to
pay for salaries, programs, etc., data is a good thing to have in your
hands to prove that your job as a school counselor serves a vital role in
education. Some districts have gotten rid of their counselors & librarians
because they just don't have the money. More importantly, the data informs
me so I can inform my principal, teachers, & parents about how well a
student is doing in a quick, efficient way. I keep all types of data. I do
a google spreadsheet that contains all of my students' OCCT assessments,
COGAT scores, Gates scores, RTI scores, & absences from elementary through
8th grade. For OCCT, I put limited knowledge & unsatisfactory scores in red
on my spreadsheet. I do the same with the other test scores if a student's
scores are below grade level. We use Infinite Campus and it's super easy
for me to pull up the information I need. I try to keep notes on students
that I see in my office, whether individually or in small groups. I can't
say that I write down information, all of the time, because I just get too
busy. I'm in a large school in a large district. For students who have
suicidal thoughts, we have some district forms that we're asked to fill out
and send to our principal & the district's assistant superintendent in
charge of the middle and high schools. I keep a copy of everything I send
out to others. If you're in a small school system, you can always ask your
principal what kind of data they'd like you to keep. Data can truly become
your best friend. I hope this helps.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 10:52 AM, OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion
Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> This is my first year as a School Counselor.  I document and track all of
> my individual counseling sessions, group sessions, and classroom counseling
> activities for my own records (to keep track of who I have served, their
> progress, activities done, things/needs addressed, etc.).  I have this
> documentation on hand if my principal or sup. would ever like to see my
> records/evidence of students served.  However, I was wondering if any of
> you have an example of a *Students Served Report* or something to that
> nature that you fill out and provide your principal or supt. with that
> validates your program and work done for that school year???  (Is there
> some sort of a state report the SDE has us turn in to show our data…or is
> this something that is just optional at the school level???)
>

> Any thoughts, examples, and ideas would be appreciated!!!  Thanks!!!

Michele Kingdom, M.Ed., NBCT, LPC

*Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail communication and any attachments may
contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error
and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of
this communication and any attachments.*