[Counselors] Early Graduation Policy

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Jun 22 08:52:58 CDT 2017

Students must complete an application for review and administrative approval my May of junior year. We consider early graduation the December of the student's scheduled year. The student must present a 'reason' for wanting an early graduation date and must have an ACT on deck prior to the request. The counselor must consul the student and family prior to the form being submitted for approval and must be able to show a 'path' to complete by December. The application is then passed to upper administration for approval. Once we receive an approved plan then we move forward with
English 4 through summer concurrency, online virtual, etc....

For a 6-A school we generally have 2-3 students a year who are approved on early plan.

*Becky Copeland, MS*
Counselor, Students last name H-O
Owasso High School
Owasso, OK
918-272-8030 (direct line)
918-272-8186 (office)
918-272-8028 (fax)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ditto but we also require a parent/student meeting before the end of 10th grade. This meeting is useful to discuss pros and cons as well as understanding the expectations. Parent and student sign a simple contract that outlines plan.

Mary Beth Lykins
Counselor: 10-12, alpha HAN - PA
Booker T. Washington High School
Office: 918.925.1019
FAX: 918.925.1001
lykinma at tulsaschools.org
We require 10th graders to notify us by the end of sophomore year if they plan to graduate early.  That way we can treat their next school year (3rd and final year with us) like their senior year and go through college app process, etc. with them.

We have them take their 11th grade English over the summer after 10th grade.  Then we can put them in senior English when they return.