[Counselors] Driving certificate for students on IEP

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon May 22 16:22:55 CDT 2017

http://sde.ok.gov/sde/sites/ok.gov.sde/files/2015%20%20LAW%20BOOK%20FINAL%20%282%29.pdf Section 1146. Proof of Reading Proficiency for Drivers License.
beginning on page 686 on the OSDE School Law Book:

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Kerri Perry <kperry at bridgecreek.k12.ok.us<mailto:kperry at bridgecreek.k12.ok.us>> wrote:
I found the legal documentation.  This is how it is written:
70-1210.515.

�70-1210.515.

   A. Pursuant to the provisions of paragraph 2 of subsection A of

   Section 6-107.3 of Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes, any person under

   the age of eighteen (18) years wishing to apply for a driver license

   or permit shall successfully demonstrate a satisfactory reading

   ability at the eighth-grade reading level by meeting the following

   criteria:

   1. A student enrolled in a public school shall successfully complete

   the reading portion of the state criterion-referenced test offered in

   the eighth grade. Following the administration of this test in the

   eighth grade, any student not successfully completing the reading

   portion shall be assigned a plan of remedial reading. The student may

   either retake the reading portion of the state criterion-referenced

   test upon its administration the following year, or take an

   alternative reading proficiency test in order to satisfy the criteria

   for a driver license or permit. Alternative reading proficiency tests

   shall be approved by the State Department of Education. Subsequent

   successful completion of an alternative reading proficiency test shall

   serve to satisfy any test retaking requirement which may be required

   for the reading portion of the state criterion-referenced test in the

   eighth grade in the Oklahoma School Testing Program. School districts

   shall notify, in writing, each student who takes the reading portion

   of the state criterion-referenced test for the eighth grade or who

   takes an alternative reading proficiency test and the student's parent

   or legal guardian of the test results. If the student fails to perform

   satisfactorily on the test, the notice shall inform the student of the

   reading proficiency driver license requirement and the school's

   remediation plan for the student. Upon the student's successful

   completion of the test, the school shall furnish the student with the

   documentation needed for the driver license application in Oklahoma;

   2. Unless alternatively documented according to the provisions of

   subsection C of this section, students under the age of eighteen (18)

   years shall successfully complete a reading proficiency test approved

   by the State Department of Education; and

   3. Any student who wishes to apply for a restricted license to operate

   a motorcycle may take an alternative reading proficiency test, subject

   to the provisions of this section.

   B. Alternative reading proficiency tests shall be offered by testing

   sites, which shall include the public schools at least four (4) times

   per calendar year, and may include any of the following which chose to

   participate, the area vocational-technical school districts, Regional

   Education Service Centers, colleges, accredited private schools, and

   other sites approved by the State Department of Education. A student

   may take the test as often as wished, subject to the provisions of

   this section. Testing sites shall provide the first alternative

   reading proficiency test for each student at no cost to the student.

   Students may be assessed a fee not to exceed Twenty-five Dollars

   ($25.00) by the testing site for each subsequent alternative reading

   proficiency test taken.

   C. A school district shall provide for alternative documentation of

   reading proficiency for the purposes of paragraph 2 of subsection A of

   Section 6-107.3 of Title 47 of the Oklahoma Statutes for any student

   with an individualized education plan. The alternative documentation

   shall be furnished to such student who is performing satisfactorily in

   reading pursuant to the student's individualized education plan.

   Parents of disabled students educated pursuant to the provisions of

   Section 4 of Article XIII of the Oklahoma Constitution may satisfy the

   requirement of paragraph 2 of subsection A of Section 6-107.3 of Title

   47 of the Oklahoma Statutes by signing an affidavit that, based upon

   their best information and belief, their child would qualify for an

   individualized education plan if enrolled in public school, and that

   in their judgment their child is performing satisfactorily in reading

   and is therefore academically qualified to satisfy the requirement of

[Previous]<http://oklegal.onenet.net/oklegal-cgi/get_statute?99/Title.70/70-1210.514.html> [Next]<http://oklegal.onenet.net/oklegal-cgi/get_statute?99/Title.70/70-1210.531.html>