[Counselors] FW: 504's

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue May 23 15:19:27 CDT 2017

Our special education director handles all our 504's school wide.  We have 300 students in 9-12 grade.  Around 1000 school wide.

Mattie McClenny, Counselor
Hugo High School

Yes the counselors handle them here. I am at Fort Gibson High School. We are a 4A high school.

Yes the counselor handles the 504's.  One Counselor to 400 students.

Yes I do - 5A

Yes and we're a 6A school

Yes, Shawnee High School counselors do 504's. 1100 students total, 5A

I don't at my present school. Our Sped teacher does it.  I am in a small rural school of less than 200.  I did at my former two schools.  One was a 3rd & 4th grade school in a system of about 3000 (my school had 400 students).  The other school that I did the 504's was a very small rural school of less than 100 students.

Kay Gilchrist
Counselor
Deer Creek- Lamont Schools

I am not a high school counselor, I am a middle school counselor 7-8 only; we have 1704 students. We have 3 counselors and split the 504s according to our assigned alphabet.  I do not recommend it.  They are very time consuming; so it makes it challenging and stressful juggling all the other counseling duties.  Yes.  Actually I am named Director of 504, but the Special Education people
handle everything but the meeting with parents and signing the documents they create in EdPlan.  I don't really have a clue myself but I have found that special ed people don't want to handle it either.   Tiny school, Class B, I think

Question:
Do you, the high school counselor, handle the 504's in your school(s) and, if so, what size school?

THANK YOU!