[Counselors] 504's

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed May 24 08:35:31 CDT 2017

The counselors at my school handle 504's.  Counselors in our district have been specifically reminded numerous times that the Special Ed person is NOT to be in charge of 504's.  504's are not part of special education.  Special Ed. handles IEP's, but not 504's.
Jennifer Sack | Counselor
Tulsa Public Schools, Booker T. Washington High School
1514 E. Zion St, Room 319, Tulsa, OK 74106
T: 918-925-1004
sackje at tulsaschools.org<mailto:sackje at tulsaschools.org>
www.tulsaschools.org<http://www.tulsaschools.org>

Counselors in each building handle all 504's. 4A school

Yes I will take care of the 504's.  I am in a rural 2A school for 6-12.

Middle school counselor.  I handle all 504's.  450 students

I have a school with 530 students! I hate doing it but the special ed teacher helps me with the paperwork. Probably my biggest complaint!

Yes & 5A

One counselor handles our 504"s. We are a 5A school with about 1100 students. Next year, we are considering dividing the 504"s among all the counselors.

I don't at my present school. Our Sped teacher does it.  I am in a small rural school with 700 students..  I am the only counselor at my school. I have three sites that I RUN between Elementary Middle School and High School.
"Happiness begins where selfishness ends." John Wooden
Anna Marie Perdue
Wellston School Counselor
aperdue at wellstonschools.org
405-356-2533

Our special education director handles all our 504's school wide.  We have 300 students in 9-12 grade.  Around 1000 school wide.

Mattie McClenny, Counselor
Hugo High School

Yes the counselors handle them here. I am at Fort Gibson High School. We are a 4A high school.

Yes the counselor handles the 504's.  One Counselor to 400 students.

Yes I do - 5A

Yes and we're a 6A school

Yes, Shawnee High School counselors do 504's. 1100 students total, 5A

I don't at my present school. Our Sped teacher does it.  I am in a small rural school of less than 200.  I did at my former two schools.  One was a 3rd & 4th grade school in a system of about 3000 (my school had 400 students).  The other school that I did the 504's was a very small rural school of less than 100 students.

Kay Gilchrist
Counselor
Deer Creek- Lamont Schools

I am not a high school counselor, I am a middle school counselor 7-8 only; we have 1704 students. We have 3 counselors and split the 504s according to our assigned alphabet.  I do not recommend it.  They are very time consuming; so it makes it challenging and stressful juggling all the other counseling duties.  Yes.  Actually I am named Director of 504, but the Special Education people
handle everything but the meeting with parents and signing the documents they create in EdPlan.  I don't really have a clue myself but I have found that special ed people don't want to handle it either.   Tiny school, Class B, I think

Question:
Do you, the high school counselor, handle the 504's in your school(s) and, if so, what size school?

THANK YOU!