[Counselors] Scholarships for Students of Veterans

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Dec 17 08:13:37 CST 2019

Post 9/11 benefits must have been transferred to a dependent while still on active duty.  Chapter 35 is only for dependents of retirees rated at 100% disabled.  If the parent is a member of any military associations, they have scholarships.  Also, if they are able to shop at the commissary, there is an essay contest scholarship each year.  My husband is retired military and 100% disabled.  One child is using transferred benefits and one child is on Chapter 35.

If the father who is a veteran didn’t use all his educational benefits, they can be transferred to the child. I would check with the VA, or possibly one of the military recruiters to check on those.

I have a pamphlet that a parent who was a veteran gave me a couple of years ago from the Department of Veterans Affairs and it's called Dependents' Educational Assistance Program.
The website it lists is www.gibill.va.gov<http://www.gibill.va.gov>

contact David Kemp at the visual services division of Vocational
Rehab......1-800-487-4042
Trudy McKinney
Spiro