[Counselors] Advice please

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Jan 9 10:19:37 CST 2019

We have had several over the years.  We told them they could use the
restrooms by the offices.  The principal told the student and the parent
this together, so everyone knew what the plan was.  There is no reason to
let parents/students/the community/etc know. They will know eventually
(because kids talk) and it's a violation of confidentiality for you to tell
them.  It always seemed to be a "big" deal for maybe 2 days and then none
of the kids thought/said anything about it.  We have around 700 kids, so I
don't know if that makes the difference?

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion
Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> We have 1 student that just came out as transgender and we just received
> another that has been transitioning for almost 2 years.  I haven't had any
> transgender students yet and now I have 2.
>

> How have you all handled transgender students??  Bathrooms? Do we need to
> let parents and/or students know? What legal stuff do I need to know?  I
> feel pretty naive about this and want to be prepared a little better to
> advocate for my transgender students.  Any advice or experiences that you
> all have gone through would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thank you!

Email Notice:

Under state and federal laws, public school email content
and addresses are
public records. Your email address and the contents of
any email sent to the
sender of this communication will be released in
response to any request for
public records, except as excluded by state and
federal laws. If you do not
want your email (content and address) to be
released as part of any public
records request do not send email to this
address, rather contact the sender by
phone or in writing. Emails sent to
and from Grove Public School's email system
will be archived in accordance
with the district's archival policy.