[Counselors] Advice please

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Jan 9 11:09:52 CST 2019

We had this come up for the first time this year also.  The principal and I
initially met with the student and parent to address logistical and any
other concerns.  Luckily we have a faculty/guest restroom that is not
gender designated so he (transitioning to male) uses that one.  The
principal and I met with teachers that had the student in class to make
them aware of the situation and address their concerns.  We did not
announce to other students/community members and I agree with the previous
comments about confidentiality, etc.  There were a few teacher concerns the
first few days (primarily anticipation of potential issues) but after that
no big deal...

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 10:26 AM OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor
Discussion Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> We have had several over the years.  We told them they could use the
> restrooms by the offices.  The principal told the student and the parent
> this together, so everyone knew what the plan was.  There is no reason to
> let parents/students/the community/etc know. They will know eventually
> (because kids talk) and it's a violation of confidentiality for you to tell
> them.  It always seemed to be a "big" deal for maybe 2 days and then none
> of the kids thought/said anything about it.  We have around 700 kids, so I
> don't know if that makes the difference?
>
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor
> Discussion Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:
>
>> We have 1 student that just came out as transgender and we just received
>> another that has been transitioning for almost 2 years.  I haven't had any
>> transgender students yet and now I have 2.
>>

>> How have you all handled transgender students??  Bathrooms? Do we need to
>> let parents and/or students know? What legal stuff do I need to know?  I
>> feel pretty naive about this and want to be prepared a little better to
>> advocate for my transgender students.  Any advice or experiences that you
>> all have gone through would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> Thank you!

> Email Notice:
> Under state and federal laws, public school email content and addresses
> are public records. Your email address and the contents of any email sent
> to the sender of this communication will be released in response to any
> request for public records, except as excluded by state and federal laws.
> If you do not want your email (content and address) to be released as part
> of any public records request do not send email to this address, rather
> contact the sender by phone or in writing. Emails sent to and from Grove
> Public School's email system will be archived in accordance with the
> district's archival policy._______________________________________________

Jill Moery
Counselor
Hennessey High School

Phone:  405.853.4722 or 405.853.4394 (ext.222)
Fax:  405.853.4644
Email: jmoery at hps.k12.ok.us
HHS website <http://hhs.hps.k12.ok.us/>

--

*This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
system manager. This message contains confidential information and is