[Counselors] Literacy Night

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Mar 28 14:20:17 CDT 2019

We just had a wonderful Literacy Event a couple of Saturdays ago at Augustine.  It was called "Literature Alive".  We had teachers choose different books and then decorate their rooms with that theme.  We had Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Narnia, Dr. Seuss, and others.   Students (and some teachers) dressed in character, which made for a very fun environment.   We had books for sale in each room and in the library, so we had a nice book fair along with the event.  Grandparents and parents came and bought books for their students as well as themselves.  We also had local authors that have been connected to our school to come and speak about their books and do readings throughout the day.  We had our lunch area decorated with a very large pirate ship (filled one end of our lunch room) with the restaurant "staff" (students who ran lunch) dressed as pirates and other characters from that genre.

Hope this gives some fun ideas!
Rochelle Collingsworth

Christina, send me your email and I will send you our schedule/agenda of the one we just did a few months ago. It was our first so some tweaking will happen, but overall it was successful. It was for lower grades (PK-4th). My email is cjones at prestonps.org

*Cassie Jones*
*Elem/MS Counselor*
*Preston School*

We don't have a big event, but we do have an open library night once a month. The school mascot makes an appearance and serves cookies to the kids. Parents and older siblings come and read to their children. It lasts for about two hours. Kids can take AR tests if they need to. It's a nice out-reach program for our school and also lets younger kids that are three and four years old have a positive first experience with being in our school.

Subject: Re: [Counselors] Literacy Night

Idabel has received a literacy grant, so we are having a "big" program at the amphitheater downtown on April 26th from 4-6 p.m..  We have High School students dressed in Disney costumes who will have reading areas for younger students.  We have Army and Marine vehicles - pull-up bars, rock climbing walls for older student groups.  The civic clubs in town are providing food (hot dogs, chips, soft drinks).  There will be some students involved in activities - band is  selling cotton candy, art club is painting faces. Our event will be open to the entire community.