[Counselors] Service Project Ideas

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Oct 9 12:52:55 CDT 2020

I just wanted to see if my wonderful SC community had any great ideas for
me on how to help modify a service project under COVID conditions.

Every year I head up a school wide food drive for the local homeless
shelter in our community.  Classes participate by bringing Thanksgiving
Dinner food items that the shelter can use to feed the homeless residents
during the holiday season.  Students bring turkeys, hams, pies, canned
goods, etc. all the trimmings.  We collect all the goods over one week, and
I keep track of items brought by homerooms and give the kids points for
participating.  At the end of the week that class that earned the most
participation points earns a pizza party and extra recess with me.

However this year, we are very strict on items being brought in to the
building, extra hallway traffic, and we are not allowing parents in.  So it
would be a little more difficult to have a traditional food drive (as
normally the parents would bring in big grocery bags).

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could modify or change my project up
under these conditions?  If so, please share!

I appreciate your time, help, and ideas!!  God Bless!

~Rebekah