[Counselors] Student death - issuing a diploma

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Feb 4 10:04:13 CST 2021

It is usually an honorary diploma. I usually start the process by talking to the parent about it. I had one turn it down because the student was younger and did not have a lot of high school credits yet and they didn't feel like it would help their healing process any. Parents of older students have accepted it and been very grateful.
Always,
Kim Justus
Counselor
Velma-Alma Schools
Home of the Comets
580-203-3705

I would like to know also. Our student will have a cap and gown and chair at graduation.

We issue an honorary diploma.
Dr. Kelly Collins, LPC, NCC, NCSC
Choctaw High School

Could anyone share any guidance from the state on issuing a diploma to a student who has died?
Thank you.