[Counselors] Citizenship test

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Oct 6 09:01:11 CDT 2021

What is everyone doing for the Citizenship test-  Which test are you using?  When are you giving it? How are you keeping track of it? etc.

Great questions Cassie! Anyone feel free to share what they are doing.

I also wanted to share some questions asked during our fall workshops regarding the citizenship test, I asked Catherine Boomer at SDE for the answers, her contact information is at the end of the questions:

  1.  Is there an actual test that all schools give? There is a test<https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/questions-and-answers/100q.pdf> (actually a study guide) that the legislation makes reference to – it’s on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website<https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learn-about-citizenship/the-naturalization-interview-and-test>.  It’s the 2008 test, just for reference.  The legislation references a 100 question test, and the 2020 test is over 120 questions.  That website also has the test translated in numerous languages, should you need it.
  2.  Where do I get this test? The actual test is open-ended.  Luckily, the Oklahoma Council for Social Studies<https://www.okcss.org/resources.html> developed a number of U.S. Naturalization Test Prep Resources<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QXjPDfNuEyZnc5iKxdxsifAbXKhXWj6i/view>, including a multiple choice version of the test, a Google Form version of the test, and even flash cards and discussion notes for class.  There is also a link to the actual legislation at the top (that’s handy to read; it’s very vague, so you will understand why there’s not a lot of structure to this.  The good news is that it is left to the districts to determine how they want to administer and implement it).
  3.  Does a teacher just give the test in the classroom and then tell us if the students pass? Your teachers could give it in the classroom; note that students need a 60% or better to pass.  Some schools are posting the test on Canvas; some schools are giving half the test at the end of each semester in 9th grade in whatever social studies course their students are taking; some schools are incorporating it into their 8th grade or HS US History courses.  There are many different ways to implement it, and your district is free to make it work for your students.
  4.  Then do we just note that on the transcript? It should be noted on the transcript; there was a committee working on how to implement this, so I expect more guidance will be coming about this soon.
  5.  Thinking of doing the test in the 8th grade. Would that work? You can definitely administer the test in 8th grade; just note that the requirement starts with your freshmen class this year; the class of 2025.  Note it is included on the Graduation Checklists<https://sde.ok.gov/achieving-classroom-excellence-resources> developed by OSDE.

Contact information:
Catherine Boomer, M.Ed.
Catherine.Boomer at sde.ok.gov<mailto:Catherine.Boomer at sde.ok.gov>
Director of College & Career Readiness Assessments
Oklahoma State Department of Education
2500 North Lincoln Boulevard, Suite 500
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105-4599
(405) 522-0283