[Counselors] How do we deter marijuana at school?

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Oct 27 13:36:20 CDT 2021

We suspend students for marijuana. The cops are called and depending on circumstances they are usually set up with the county juvenile officer, and it goes from there. My county does not have a drug dog, but two of my surrounding counties do. They are always more than happy to bring their dogs out when I call them. I usually have them come out once or twice a year just to do a run through. They don't charge
I am sure I have students that hide it in those places, but the ones we've caught have all been caught smoking it, or we have found in cars, backpacks, and pockets.

At our school, students are not allowed to drive to school, participate in extracurricular activities, etc. for 20 days if they fail a drug test. That can be reduced to 10 days, but they have to complete 4 hours of drug counseling at school with the school counselor.