[Counselors] Concurrent course and GPA's

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Mar 9 14:36:34 CST 2022

Our school does a point system...who does better on the AVERAGE! If I get the chance I will take a picture of the handbook policy. This is just for valedictorian/salutatorian graduation purposes. In May what the system calculates for GPA is what we list for rank. If you get a chance Our handbook is online just search Navajo public schools, click explore in the right hand corner go to documents and our handbook is about halfway down.

We give high school credit for concurrent classes.  How we keep similar situations from happening is we weight our AP classes, then class rank and any honors (Valedictorian, Salutatorian, Top Ten Percent) are all based off of the weighted GPA.  Students work towards what they really want.  Some do a combo of AP and Concurrent, some just AP, some just concurrent.  But this keeps the kids who take the easy classes from beating out the students who have put forth more effort.

We give HS credit for concurrent classes and they are weighted like our AP & honors classes are - 5.0 for "A", 4.0 for "B", and so on.

We weight all of the college classes and use the weighted GPA for VAL/Sal and honor Students
Sherry Wilson
Nowata High School

In Moore we award dual credit for all concurrent courses and we base our credit type on OCAS codes.  As far as GPA is concerned, we use a weighted scale for concurrent (4.5 for A’s, etc.).
Kristy Hernandez, Ed.D.
Director of Student Services
Moore Public Schools-
405-735-4298

They weight the concurrent grades at our school and they receive both high school and college credit for the CC classes taken. For each CC class taken 1 full high school credit is received with a passing grade.

We count the following classes
 CompI/II for Senior English
College Government- for high Government
All college math classes count as a math credit
Those are the most common core classes our students take. All other classes count as electives. We are looking at counting Comp I/II and college math classes as honors courses.
Melissa Poole11th/12th Grade Counselor
Tecumseh Public Schools
Email poolem@<mailto:poolem at tecumseh.k12.ok.us>tecumsehschools.org<http://tecumsehschools.org>
Phone: (405) 598-2113