[Counselors] Exchange Student Responses #1

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Aug 15 15:35:26 CDT 2023

Does anyone have any guidance on foreign exchange students? We have a foreign exchange student this year and both the student and host family are under the impression that the student will be classified as a senior and will graduate with an Oklahoma High School diploma. How do schools handle this as far as graduation course requirements go?
 Thank you for your help!

  *   Hello!! We allow them to "walk" but they do not get a diploma.  Or the ones from Spain don't. The one from France and Denmark had already graduated from their schools. We give them a certificate of completion and allow them to wear the cap and gown, etc.

  *   We enroll them in Junior only. If one really really wants to experience our American graduation, we do what we can do, but they have to meet all OK grad requirements. Most of the time they are going back to their home school to finish school.  I have only had one ask. She was able to meet the requirements.  Not all of them would.
Hope that helps.

  *   We have had several and they do not graduate with an Oklahoma Diploma.  They can participate in graduation ceremonies at our school but do not meet the requirement for a diploma. I just showed the parents and student the graduation checklist and how they didn't have enough credits to meet their requirements and I never had any problems.
  *   Honorary Oklahoma diploma and usually we do classify them as a senior but you don't have to...it is a pain because she will fall into your graduation cohort and I don't have the answer to how you have to jump through hoops to show she doesn't count. Lastly, she does NOT have to take any of the state assessments....I checked on this from OSDE last year to be sure.

Hope this helps a little bit.

  *   I have one that is classified as a senior. Don't know if they expect a diploma though