[Counselors] Exchange Student Responses #3

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Aug 22 13:11:32 CDT 2023

Does anyone have any guidance on foreign exchange students? We have a foreign exchange student this year and both the student and host family are under the impression that the student will be classified as a senior and will graduate with an Oklahoma High School diploma. How do schools handle this as far as graduation course requirements go?
 Thank you for your help!

  *   We have exchange students every year at my school. We have been able to classify some as seniors so they can go through the American "graduation" ceremonies and senior nights. However, we make sure our students understand they are only going through those actions because they do not qualify for an Oklahoma high school diploma due to their courseload in their country not meeting our requirements here. I am not over this program so I do not have the paperwork showing this, but we have never been able to actually get a diploma for one of our exchange seniors.

  *   We never enroll as a senior or issue a diploma, almost always they are classified as juniors. We have two this year and one has completed his work in Brazil; however, he will still be classified as a junior with us.

  *   Been a counselor in Texas and Oklahoma and both places required that the student met the state requirements before handing out a diploma to them.

  *   I have only ever had one student that actually met our requirements to graduate.  That student was enrolled as a Senior, all others have been enrolled as Juniors.

Sabrina Wood
Coordinator of Student Preparation for College Readiness
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
https://www.okhighered.org/student-prep/