[Counselors] Placement Test and Rehab Options Responses #2

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Mar 17 14:21:55 CDT 2023

Hope everyone was able to take off some time and rest and recharge to finish the semester strong!

Placement Tests
Just wondering what your district uses for placement tests? We have the old Riverside set from 1994. We try to use istation but we only have that up to a certain grade level, so it is not always something that I can use.

  *   We have started using the MAP screening tests this year for placement.

Rehab options for Students
I have a student that has been suspended multiple times for drugs.  This last time his dad asked about any rehabs for high school students.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

  *   Rob's Ranch in Purcell - https://www.robsranch.org/

  *   I asked a friend who works as the clinical director at Gateway to Recovery in Shawnee and his response is below:
It sounds like this parent is seeking inpatient rehab services for substance use. I have attached a form created by ODMHSAS that identifies outpatient and inpatient programs in the state of Oklahoma for adults and adolescents. On page 4, you will find the inpatient programs list. There are three places in the state that will accept teens who are male. If the parent wants to get their child placed and wants support, you may direct them to us for assistance. We would be happy to help! Other places will treat adolescents with co-occurring SUD and MH-related problems. The second attachment has these facilities listed. Research supports that most adolescents with SU problems also have co-occurring mental health-related problems.
He said you can refer the parents to him even if they are not in our area.
Mitchell DeShazer, MS, LMFT **(he/him/his)
Clinical Director
Gateway to Prevention and Recovery
1010 E. 45th Street
Shawnee, OK 74804
PH: 405-273-1170 ext. 1012

Sabrina Wood
Coordinator of Student Preparation for College Readiness
swood at osrhe.edu
665 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
www.okhighered.org/student-prep